Understanding the Differences between Quartiles and Percentiles

• B
  • Thread starter YouAreAwesome
  • Start date
In summary, there is no agreed upon "correct" method for finding Q1, as it can be calculated using both a formula and logic. The formula method involves finding the (n+1)/4th term in the set, while the logic method involves finding the median of the lower set of scores. The purpose for using each method may depend on the specific curriculum or context in which it is being used.
YouAreAwesome
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Which way of calculating Q1 is correct, by formula or by logic?
Set of 18 scores = [2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 9, 9, 10, 10]

Find Q1 by formula
Q1 is the (n+1)/4 th term (where n is the number of scores)
Q1 is the 19/4 th term, or the 4.75 th score.
Q1 is 0.75 of the way between scores 3 and 4 (the 4th and 5th scores in the set).
Q1=3.75
See https://www.hackmath.net/en/calculator/quartile-q1-q3

Find Q1 by logic
Q1 is the median of the "lower set" of scores - that is, if we split the scores into two equal sets at the median, the median of the lower of these is Q1.
The median of the of the Set provided above is 6.
The median of the lower Set provided above is 4.
See https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/statistics/quartile-calculator.php

My question is, which of these methods is correct? And if both are correct but for different purposes, what are those purposes?

Thanks
YAA

Physics news on Phys.org
pbuk said:
There is no agreed "correct" answer. This is covered reasonably well on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartile#Computing_methods.
Thanks. Now I have to go looking for what the Australian, NSW syllabus specifically wants from its students I suppose.

YouAreAwesome said:
Thanks. Now I have to go looking for what the Australian, NSW syllabus specifically wants from its students I suppose.
You could ask them about percentiles for a small sample while you're at it!

Likes YouAreAwesome

What are quartiles and percentiles?

Quartiles and percentiles are statistical measures used to divide a dataset into equal parts. Quartiles divide the data into four equal parts, while percentiles divide the data into 100 equal parts.

How are quartiles and percentiles calculated?

Quartiles are calculated by finding the median of the lower and upper halves of the dataset. Percentiles are calculated by finding the value that falls at a certain percentage of the dataset.

What is the difference between quartiles and percentiles?

The main difference between quartiles and percentiles is the number of parts the dataset is divided into. Quartiles divide the data into four parts, while percentiles divide the data into 100 parts.

What is the purpose of using quartiles and percentiles?

Quartiles and percentiles are used to better understand the distribution of a dataset. They can help identify outliers and determine the spread of the data.

How do quartiles and percentiles help with data analysis?

Quartiles and percentiles provide a way to summarize and compare datasets. They can also be used to make predictions and identify patterns in the data.