Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unexpected window maximizations from rapid backspaces?

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Has this happened to anybody else? I'm not quite sure of the keystroke combination to make it happen reliably, but it happens to me a couple times a day posting here, and it's pretty annoying for me.

When I'm typing in the Reply box (it mostly happens in Advanced Reply, but may happen occasionally in the Quick Reply box as well), if I'm backspacing quickly (like from the end of a word back towards the beginning of it where I see a typo), the PF window will go from regular to maximized on my screen. It's annoying because it's unexpected, and looks like my screen is exploding or something :bugeye:

I'm on Vista with IE7 right now. I thought at first that maybe I was accidentally brushing the ALT key or some other special key as I backspaced, but now I've been paying more attention, and I think it only needs the rapid backspaces to happen. I've also searched Windows Help for some key-combination that is a shorcut for maximize window, but didn't find any.

As far as I can tell, it only happens to me here on the PF in the Reply boxes. :tongue2:

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    What do you mean when you say 'maximized', do you mean going from a smaller screen which you can resize to a fixed sized screen which takes up the whole screen, BUT you can still see the 'start' menu and the 'minimize/restore/close' buttons in the top corner. Or do you mean your browser is going into fullscreen mode where the webpage takes up the entire screen. (normally it happens if you press f11).
    You may have changed the hotkey unknowingly to do this. I tried getting similar results as I'm using vista and have IE on my laptop but nothing happens. Maybe instead of hitting the backspace button you could just hold it down and just let go once it hits where you made your mistake???

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3

berkeman

Great feedback, thanks. I apologize that I don't know the right terminology. When you look at the upper right of a window, it has left-to right, a minimize button, a 2nd button, and a kill/X button. If you are in standard window mode, the 2nd button gives you the option to maximize. If you are in maximized mode, the 2nd button gives you the option to pull down to a standard window.

5. Mar 9, 2010 #4
    Maybe you could try upgrading IE to version 8. I know 7 was a 'beta' version and that there were a few bus with the backspace in particular I just can't get similar results :tongue:

6. Mar 14, 2010 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't had that problem, though, when typing a reply yesterday, I didn't touch anything that should have zoomed my page out, but it did zoom out. And, twice (once yesterday and once today) I've had my replies post twice with only a single click, and a LONG lag. I deleted the extra post, but don't know where it came from. If I clicked twice thinking it didn't take the first time due to lag, I would know what happened, but even if somehow it was interpreted as a double click, the second copy should have been caught as posting too soon after the first (that 30 second delay between posts) and wasn't.

Greg might want to take a peek under the hood and find out if something needs fixing.

7. Mar 14, 2010 #6

berkeman

Thanks MB. It's good to hear somebody else had an unexpected zoom-out. Maybe I'll try searching the VB pages for zoom out issues.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook