US Customs Find Man Smuggling Squirrels

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, an unidentified man was stopped at the Santa Teresa port of entry with three squirrels in his pockets. The squirrels were found to be of Mexican origin and have the potential to spread a plague virus. The man was fined and warned about importing squirrels in the future.
Mk
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051215/ap_on_fe_st/smuggled_squirrels
The animals were found inside the man's coat pockets during an inspection at the Santa Teresa port of entry Tuesday. Officers became suspicious of the unidentified man after they found an empty bird cage in his pickup truck but no animals.

A special agent with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service took the animals into custody and issued the man a $350 fine and a violation notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm.. I suspect Dr. Foofer's involved in this somehow.

Are squirrels affiliated with Al-Qaeda?

Math Is Hard said:
hmmm.. I suspect Dr. Foofer's involved in this somehow.
Yep, I think he's branching out.

wow, it was bad enough when one got into my house, can you imagine what would happen with one running looses on a plane? That guy had to have some pretty big..ummmm nuts? To think he would get away with it.

I'm just trying to figure out why someone would try smuggling squirrels. It's not like you can't just find more wherever you go. :confused:

Moonbear said:
I'm just trying to figure out why someone would try smuggling squirrels. It's not like you can't just find more wherever you go. :confused:
If they were staying in his pockets, perhaps they were pets? I don't know too many wild squirrels that would just sit quietly in a pocket.

Are you sure the news article is correct about them being squirrels? If the guy's name is Dave and the rodents are actually chipmunks, then there is a logical explanation.

BobG said:
Are you sure the news article is correct about them being squirrels? If the guy's name is Dave and the rodents are actually chipmunks, then there is a logical explanation.
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Well, it is nearly Christmastime..
Alvin said:
Christmas, Christmas time is near,
Time for toys and time for cheer,
We've been good, but we can't last
Hurry Christmas, hurry fast,
Want a plane that loops the loop,
Me, I want a hula hoop,
We can hardly stand the wait,
Please Christmas, don't be late.

I have the Chipmunk Christmas CD. :approve: :blushing:

You guys, these were illegal alien squirrels:

A California man has been cited for bringing three ground squirrels into the United States from Mexico...

They were going to take acorn harvesting jobs from American squirrels.

Evo said:
I have the Chipmunk Christmas CD. :approve: :blushing:

I have the record! : i don't have the record player anymore, so i can't ever listen to it, but it came with a story book and all the lyrics!

Gale said:
I have the record! : i don't have the record player anymore, so i can't ever listen to it, but it came with a story book and all the lyrics!
That's still at my mom's house, or it better be. :devil:

zoobyshoe said:
You guys, these were illegal alien squirrels:

They were going to take acorn harvesting jobs from American squirrels.
:biggrin: ...

zoobyshoe said:
alien squirrels:
! AHHHH all the cops, the navy, the airforce! We're being taken over by alien squirrels!

It did say ground squirrels. This is clearly a case of illegally imported luncheon meat.

Danger said:
It did say ground squirrels. This is clearly a case of illegally imported luncheon meat.
Squirrel baloney?

In the past, ground squirrels have tested positive for plague.

Am I the only one that found this sentence amusing? I mean, yeah, it's a real disease, but what goes through my mind is "tap 'indigenous Mexican squirrel' plus two colorless mana and cast plague on target creature"

zoobyshoe said:
Squirrel baloney?
With acorn butter.:tongue2:

Jelfish said:
Am I the only one that found this sentence amusing? I mean, yeah, it's a real disease, but what goes through my mind is "tap 'indigenous Mexican squirrel' plus two colorless mana and cast plague on target creature"
Do you think the ground squirrels know where the border is if they aren't carried across in someone's pockets? If they just felt like wandering across on their own, would customs still stop them? :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Do you think the ground squirrels know where the border is if they aren't carried across in someone's pockets? If they just felt like wandering across on their own, would customs still stop them? :uhh:
That's impossible. Animals, unlike some humans, obey political boundaries.

arildno said:
Are squirrels affiliated with Al-Qaeda?
Anti-terror squirrel tactics
1)Look to see if there anyother squirrels in the area
2)Run if they bite you might get there biological weapon the Rabies virus
3)If there are any tree's in the area run away from them this will elimte the squirrels abillty to have a constant supply of nuts to thorw at you
4)Use any kind of range weapon you can find don't chase them there fast
5)Call the Air Froce tell them carpert bomb the area
6)After the Aif Froce carpet bombs the area serch for any squirles
7)If you find any squirles still alive call the Air froce and tell them to Nuke your postion,Don't worry about dying... the Goverment will pay for your funeral(but your will and life insurence is your problem)

Jelfish said:
That's impossible. Animals, unlike some humans, obey political boundaries.
Politically correct squirrels. :biggrin:

The following is totally meaningless and off topic.

I once had a squirrel named Roger, I know, Danger is saying, "wait, your turtle's name was Roger", all of my animals were named Roger, I thought it was funny, I was a weird child. Anyway she would come and scratch on the back door when she wanted nuts. They are smart animals and easily trained. Yeah, I realized Roger the squirrel was female when she had babies.

Last edited:
oh one time, when I was working on the soundboard of my school's theater, I heard these noises coming out of the closet. So ignoring it, I go back to work when all of a sudden, I saw this really young squirrel nibbling on wire. When I turned my head, it ran back into the closet. I wanted to lead it out, thinking it somehow got lost inside the theater and wanted out. So to try to calm it down, I started singing to it. Now, I'm a bass, so this didn't work so well. So instead, I kept working and when it snuck out again, I ignored it until it was close enough to the exit. I then turned around, chased it down some stairs and out the door.
I later found out that there's a family of squirrels living in the theater walls so I probably broke up a family. It was also raining heavily while I chased the young squirrel out the door, and watched it hop fearfully into the cold cruel world. I'm a squirrel homewrecker. :frown:

Jelfish said:
I'm a squirrel homewrecker. :frown:
That's sad. :cry: How horrible to have carried that guilt all these years. HOMEWRECKER! :grumpy: At least you meant well.

hah actually it was closer to a couple of months ago. But yeah, even squirrels need a little tough love sometimes. I just hope I don't encounter any akward confrontations come springtime.

My mom has a cat who is a notorious serial squirrel killer. Whenever she walks out into the backyard, it's like an alarm sounding. The birds start making a ruckus to warn the squirrels, and the squirrels all start fussing. All eyes are on her. I think one of these days she may stand trial in squirrel court. It won't be pretty. We worry about this everytime she goes missing for a day or two.

What happened with the US Customs finding a man smuggling squirrels?

A man was caught by US Customs and Border Protection officers attempting to smuggle 35 live squirrels into the United States from Canada. The incident occurred at the Peace Bridge border crossing in Buffalo, New York on June 29, 2021.

Why was the man smuggling squirrels?

The man claimed that he was bringing the squirrels into the US to sell them as pets. However, it is illegal to import wildlife without the proper permits and the man did not have any documentation for the animals.

What happened to the squirrels after they were found?

The smuggled squirrels were turned over to the US Department of Agriculture for inspection and possible quarantine. They will then be placed in the care of a licensed wildlife rehabilitation organization.

What are the potential consequences for smuggling animals into the US?

The man could face criminal charges for violating the Lacey Act, which prohibits the importation of certain wildlife without the necessary permits. He could also face fines and imprisonment if convicted.

How common is animal smuggling in the US?

Animal smuggling is a serious issue and occurs more often than many people realize. US Customs and Border Protection officers seize thousands of illegal wildlife and animal products every year at ports of entry across the country.

Back