Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use FMM or FFT for low-discrepancy sample of atoms?

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1

1a2

To complete my Master's thesis, I am working on a problem that deals with an arrangement of initial atoms, and their positions are then changed according to a pseudo-random number generator with low discrepancy. My advisor told me that instead of computing the interactions between the atoms for each sample (which would take M*N), I could use an algorithm to make it faster (M+N). He told me to just google it

I'm not sure what algorithm can do this. I'm guessing either the FMM, FFT, or Multilevel FMM would be the algorithm. I thought FFT might work since its used for equispaced points, but we are not dealing with time/frequency here. And I don't see how FMM or Multilevel FMM deal with equispaced points.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you want to calculate? "The interactions" is a very vague description.

How does their distribution look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook