Useless Trivia: Places to Drive on Left

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drive
In summary: In Trivial Pursuit[if anyone still plays this], if the answer is a city but you don't know which one, guess Paris.There are between 330 and 500 dimples on a golfball.The longest boxing match lasted seven and a half hours and went 110 rounds.Mr. Potato Head revolutionized the toy industry in 1952 - he was the first toy to be advertised on televesion. In spite of being the first toy to realize the power of television, Mr. Potato Head only received four votes (all write-in) in Boise's 1985 Mayoral election. Is it illegal to chew gum
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
'Useless' Trivia

After being prompted by the bathroom reading thread, I decided that I'd better start one of these.

Post your snippets of information which are of use to few people, but of (possible) interest to many.

I'll kick off, with a list of places where you must drive on the left:

Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Bhutan, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Cayman Islands, Channel Island, Cooke Islands, Cocos Island, Cyprus, Dominica, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Macao, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Montserrat, Mozambique, Namibia, Naunu, Nepal, New Zealand, Norfolk Islands, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Pitcairin Island, St Helena, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Surinam, Swaziland, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turke and Caicos Islands, Uganda, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All right:
The mountain Galdhøpiggen ("The peak by the trail across the mountain plateau")
is Norway's highest mountain, but if you add the 10 meters on snow lying on top of Glittertind ("The Glittering Mountain") to its actual (rock) height, then Glittertind is the highest.

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Post your snippets of information which are of use to few people, but of (possible) interest to many.
I was about to offer Sylvia's phone number, but thought better of it. That would violate the decency laws of at least half the countries represented here. :biggrin:

"Useless trivia" is redundant. Trivia is, by definition, useless.

(Or it was, until the invention of 'Trivial Pursuit'. Now, Trivia is useful.)

DaveC426913 said:
"Useless trivia" is redundant. Trivia is, by definition, useless.

(Or it was, until the invention of 'Trivial Pursuit'. Now, Trivia is useful.)

I was under the impression that trivia was insignificant, rather than useless, but hey ho.

Anyway, I'll continue...

A list of E-numbers:

100-199 Colourings
200-299 Preservatives
300-399 Antioxidants, phosphates and complexing agents
400-499 Thickeners, emulsifiers, and gelling agents
500-599 Salts and related compounds
600-699 Flavour enhancers
700-899 Things which aren't used in food for human consumption
900-999 Gases, sweeteners, surface coating agents
1000-1399 Miscellaneous
1400-1499 Starch derivatives

Smoking is bad for you. Crack is supposedly bad too but i woulndt know. Its the only one i haven't done.

Norway never gave up sovereignty over the Hebridean islands (around 1250 or so); we just pawned them off to the Scots, that's all. It's still Norwegian land.

People from Norway are not called Norweeds and they do not speak Norweedish. (my sister in law is from Norway)

NORWEEDS?
:grumpy:

arildno said:
NORWEEDS?
:grumpy:
I was driving my daughter and some of her friends one day and someone asked what people from Norway were called. One kid piped up "I think they're called Norweeds" and another kid said "oh, that's right, they speak Norweedish". :rofl:

It's not funny at all; it sounds horrendously wimpish.

We pillaged, burned and raped as much of the globe we were able to,
And what did we get out of it in the end?
We are called norweeds by a bunch of kids..

Last edited:
arildno said:
It's not funny at all; it sounds horrendously wimpish.

We pillaged, burned and raped as much of the globe we were able to,

It's alright, we call them Norsemen. :smile: Obviously we know it's inaccurate, but it sounds a lot better, you've got to agree.

The only palindromic hit song by a palindromic artist is S.O.S by ABBA.

brewnog said:

And this only goes to stregnthen the general consensus that palindromes are evil by nature.

You are more likely to be killed by a pig than by a shark

At over 22 inches long, the longest fingernails took 27 years to grow.

Techtonic plates move about as fast as your fingernails grow ~ 1 cm per year.

In Trivial Pursuit[if anyone still plays this], if the answer is a city but you don't know which one, guess Paris.

There are between 330 and 500 dimples on a golfball

The longest boxing match lasted seven and a half hours and went 110 rounds

Mr. Potato Head revolutionized the toy industry in 1952 - he was the first toy to be advertised on televesion.

In spite of being the first toy to realize the power of television, Mr. Potato Head only received four votes (all write-in) in Boise's 1985 Mayoral election.

isnt it illegal to chew gum in spain?

The only death directly by an animal in Yosemite was by a deer.

At least 3 people drown in Yosemite Valley and you never hear about them.

Ivan Seeking said:
On land or in the water?

Ivan Seeking said:
At over 22 inches long, the longest fingernails took 27 years to grow.

Techtonic plates move about as fast as your fingernails grow ~ 1 cm per year.

Something here doesn't quite add up... :P

On the subject of tectonics- The world's longest mountain range is the spreading ridge that stretches from Mexico, round the South Pacific, southern Indian Ocean, and up the legnth of the Atlantic. It breaks the sea's surface very infrequently, most notably at Iceland.

My first name is not Warren.

- Warren

Then it is christopher, as in chroot.

My first name is also not Christopher.

- Warren

chroot's mailbox is at the moment full, so it is impossible to send him "Thank you!" PM's
(Believe me, I've tried 3 times already..)

chroot's mailbox is no longer full.

- Warren

Indeed it is not.

arildno said:
Not just kids any more. I know I'll never stop using it. :tongue:

brewnog said:
Hey, SOS! Did you see this?

Ivan Seeking said:
Hey, SOS! Did you see this?

matthyaouw said:

I guess that's what happens when you cross a Geologist with a Guinness? Maybe the world record fingernails grew unusually fast. I just checked and this is what my Guiness book says.

It also says that the only known instance of a go-kart being driven around the world was a circumnavigation by Stan Mott, of New York, who drove a Lambretta-engined 175 cc Italakart with a ground clearance of two inches, 23,300 land miles throught 28 countries from Feb 15, 1961, to June 5th, 1964, starting and finishing in New York.

matthyaouw said:
Yes, but a centimeter and an inch are only a factor of 2.5 different. A physicist would call such an excellent agreement (within an order of magnitude) a good day's work! :rofl:

- Warren

chroot said:
Yes, but a centimeter and an inch are only a factor of 2.5 different. A physicist would call such an excellent agreement (within an order of magnitude) a good day's work! :rofl:

- Warren

...and a horse is approximately a sphere.

Ivan Seeking said:
...and a horse is approximately a sphere.
*ahem*

I think you mean a chicken. We're not -that- unabashed.

*narrows eyes*

- Warren

Danger said:
Should I be keeping track of these things?

This one is a bit more subtle than the others. I can't tell you how many times I've said those exact words in a bar to someone who reminded me of Mr. Potato Head. OK, I could tell you, but I won't

Author, Ernest Vincent Wright, wrote a book called "Gadsby" which is over 50,000 words long and it does not contain the letter "E".
The world's largest pyramid is 177 feet tall and covers 15 acres it in Cholula de Rivadabia, Mexico.

I found this tidbit while looking up information on exploding frogs, so will share it here since it seems more appropriate:
If you feed tomato hornworms cornmeal, they can't digest it and will blow up! :biggrin: