Using Iso and Neo Prefixes for Alkanes and Alkenes Isomers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Docscientist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isomers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Docscientist
Messages
101
Reaction score
11
My teacher taught me to use the word "iso" and "neo" as perfix.
Is it okay if I use the word "neo" for the all isomers of all the alkanes and alkenes like hexane,heptene etc.?
Like for pentane we have iso pentane and neo pentane
But for hexane we have names like 2,3 dimethylbutane.
Is that really necessary? Can't I just use the word neo and say it is neo hexane?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Docscientist said:
My teacher taught me to use the word "iso" and "neo" as perfix.
I think you mean 'prefix'.
Is it okay if I use the word "neo" for the all isomers of all the alkanes and alkenes like hexane,heptene etc.?
In general, no. There is a specific nomenclature developed for naming organic compounds, which is formulated by IUPAC.
Like for pentane we have iso pentane and neo pentane
You should study the structure of these compounds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentane
But for hexane we have names like 2,3 dimethylbutane.
The more complex an organic compound is, the more isomers it will generally have. The name 2,3 dimethylbutane refers to a specific structure for one isomer of hexane. Hexane has five different isomers, including the straight chain n-hexane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane

Is that really necessary? Can't I just use the word neo and say it is neo hexane?
Yes, it is really necessary to avoid confusion when discussing different isomers which have the same chemical formula.

You could call all your friends 'Bill', but the ones who are not named Bill would get confused.

Here is an illustration of when it is proper to use the prefixes iso- and neo- when referring to different isomers:

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/harding/IGOC/C/common_name.html