Using PASCO's FFT Ap for Investigation 16D

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in using a tuning fork on an FFT/Spectrum Analyzer app and an open source FFT app due to built-in background noise cancellation on laptop microphones. The speaker also asks for recommendations for a microphone without noise cancellation and an FFT app with a trigger threshold function. They also mention using a tuning fork as a calibration mechanism for the FFT's low resolution.
FortranMan
I was trying to incorporate this lab into the course, but when I try using a tuning fork on the FFT/Spectrum Analyzer app I can't get a well defined frequency reading. I tried doing the same thing on an opensource FFT app and had the same issue. I am thinking most laptop microphones these days have built-in background noise cancellation, which is why the FFT app cannot detect the clean frequency of a tuning fork. Is there anyway to jail break this so the app works properly? What open market microphone would anyone recommend that comes without built in noise cancellation? Also does anyone know of an FFT app that comes with a trigger threshold function? These were useful in my lab if you were looking for a particular event, rather than having to keep the soundwave constant till the update rate can pick it up.

Science news on Phys.org
FortranMan said:
but when I try using a tuning fork on the FFT/Spectrum Analyzer app I can't get a well defined frequency reading.
Sorry, what does "Investigation 16D " mean in your thread title?

FortranMan said:
I was trying to incorporate this lab into the course, but when I try using a tuning fork on the FFT/Spectrum Analyzer app I can't get a well defined frequency reading. I tried doing the same thing on an opensource FFT app and had the same issue. I am thinking most laptop microphones these days have built-in background noise cancellation, which is why the FFT app cannot detect the clean frequency of a tuning fork.
I wouldn't think background noise cancellation would get rid the sound from a tuning fork but would instead get rid of white noise. Have you checked if the microphone works at all? Does the FFT display show anything if you talk into the microphone?

That's why I suspect there is some noise cancellation going on. The FFT jumps around when I speak into the microphone, but if I hold a constant humming tone it quickly dies out. The resolution of the FFT seems pretty bad as well, which was why I was using a tuning fork as a calibration mechanism.
It refers to the specific PASCO lab that calls for students to use an FFT.

1. What is PASCO's FFT Ap and how does it work?

PASCO's FFT Ap stands for Fast Fourier Transform App and it is a software application that allows users to analyze and graph data using the Fourier transform method. This method converts a signal from its original domain (often time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. What is Investigation 16D and why is FFT Ap used for it?

Investigation 16D is a scientific experiment that involves analyzing sound waves using a PASCO sensor and FFT Ap. The FFT Ap is used for this investigation because it allows for a more accurate and efficient analysis of the sound waves by converting them into the frequency domain.

3. How do I use FFT Ap for Investigation 16D?

To use FFT Ap for Investigation 16D, follow these steps:1. Connect the PASCO sensor to your device.2. Open the FFT Ap and select the correct sensor.3. Begin recording data.4. Once the data is recorded, select the portion of the data you want to analyze.5. Click on the "FFT" button to transform the data into the frequency domain.6. Use the various tools and settings in the app to analyze and graph the data.

4. What are some benefits of using FFT Ap for Investigation 16D?

Some benefits of using FFT Ap for Investigation 16D include:- Accurate and efficient analysis of sound waves- Ability to visualize and graph data in the frequency domain- User-friendly interface and tools for data analysis- Real-time data collection and analysis- Compatibility with PASCO sensors for precise data collection

5. Are there any limitations to using FFT Ap for Investigation 16D?

While FFT Ap is a powerful tool for analyzing sound waves in Investigation 16D, there are some limitations to keep in mind:- The accuracy of the analysis depends on the quality of the data collected by the PASCO sensor.- The app may have limited capabilities for very complex or large data sets.- It may require some technical knowledge and training to fully utilize all the features of the app.