Velocity of sound in copper-nickel blend

  • Thread starter Thread starter mx6er2587
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sound Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
mx6er2587
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to find the longitudal velocity of sound in a 65/35 copper nickel blend. If anyone has a chart/table/resource of some sort that would be awesome.

If not I should be able to find this using the equation sqrt(youngs modulus/density) correct? If that's the case I can make some assumptions and a fairly close guess to the vos using the youngs modulus and density of the more popular 70/30 copper nickel alloy
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mx.
Fred Garvin and Astronuc seem to be able to pull charts like that out of their butts on a moment's notice, so help is probably on its way. :biggrin:
 
Your equation, sqrt(E/rho), sounds right. The units come out right at least. Perhaps you would consider interpolating E values from some other alloys?

You might be able to make a nice estimate with the values of E for Cu, Ni and 70/30.