Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Venus to be humanity's next destination?

1. Apr 4, 2016 #1
    I once read a year or so ago that Venus, despite its harsh lower atmospheric conditions, is actually very "earth-like" at a certain level near the upper part of the atmosphere, including an relatively low pH, rain, and a suitable temperature. Not only that, but directly below the earth-like sweet spot, it is so dense that perhaps a hovering establishment may be supported with the help of thrusters. I don't know if this is just speculation and baloney observations, but if it were true, it could be humanity's next destination. There would be a virtually endless amount of "free" energy, whether it be solar or from the heat in the lower atmosphere, that could supply the thrusters with energy, and even keep the lights turned on for the inhabitants.

Link provided by Drakkith:
    https://api.viglink.com/api/click?f...ontent/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.1541418

Have any of you heard about this? If so, would you consider it a practical solution for overpopulation? Is it a better option than Mars or other supposedly suitable bodies?

What are the problems we could face, and what are the errors in the original proposal (any atmospheric conditions, energy use, transportation, cost, etc.)?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I found a reference from wikipedia for this idea: http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.1541418

Abstract:

Although the surface of Venus is an extremely hostile environment, at about 50 kilometers above the surface the atmosphere of Venus is the most earthlike environment (other than Earth itself) in the solar system. It is proposed here that in the near term, human exploration of Venus could take place from aerostat vehicles in the atmosphere, and that in the long term, permanent settlements could be made in the form of cities designed to float at about fifty kilometer altitude in the atmosphere of Venus.

No time to comment more on this at the moment.

4. Apr 4, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply, I will include the link in the original post.

5. Apr 5, 2016 #4
  6. Apr 26, 2016 #5
    That would be impossible, I guess. The atmosphere of Venus is composed mainly of carbon dioxide. On the surface, the atmospheric pressure is 100 times higher on Earth and the temperature exceeds 480 degrees in Celcius.

7. Apr 26, 2016 #6
    That would be impossible because probes or artificial satellites that would arrived undamaged there will be unable to operate for long, I guess. The atmosphere of Venus is composed mainly of carbon dioxide. On the surface, the atmospheric pressure is 100 times higher on Earth and the temperature exceeds 480 degrees in Celcius.

8. Apr 26, 2016 #7

Drakkith

True, but this thread isn't about living on the surface. It's about living above the surface where the pressure and temperature are much lower.

9. Apr 26, 2016 #8

Ryan_m_b

Whilst that cloud layer might have tolerable atmospheric conditions its benefit pales in comparison to the practical issues of colonising it. The construction, deployment and maintenance of "dirigible cities" in an environment where acquiring new physical resources is hellishly difficult (at best) is a gargantuan task. It would undoubtedly be cheaper to build floating cities on the Earth's oceans, or anywhere currently empty on land.

10. Jul 29, 2016 #9

1oldman2

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted