Video that show how a linear accelerator was built in 1967

In summary, a person shared a video on YouTube about a 2 mile linear accelerator built in 1967 and expressed their desire to visit SLAC for a tour. They also mentioned the possibility of visiting CERN in Europe.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

I have just found a video on youtube that shows how a 2 mile linear accelerator was built in 1967, I share it with you, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I did:

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
I live very close to SLAC, and have always wanted to try to get a tour of it! :smile:

When I looked into it a few years back, they were only giving private tours. Maybe I'll check again... :smile:

I put a link, it is public folk.

If you come to Europe you can visit Cern too.

Likes berkeman

1. How does a linear accelerator work?

A linear accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses high-frequency electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons or protons, to very high speeds. These particles are then directed into a target, where they produce high-energy X-rays or other types of radiation that can be used for medical or scientific purposes.

2. Why was a linear accelerator built in 1967?

In 1967, there was a growing interest in using linear accelerators for medical purposes, particularly for cancer treatment. The first medical linear accelerator was built in 1953, and by the late 1960s, there was a need for more advanced and powerful machines to treat a larger number of patients.

3. What materials were used to build the linear accelerator in 1967?

The materials used to build the linear accelerator in 1967 would have been similar to those used in modern accelerators, such as copper and niobium for the accelerating structures, magnets made of iron or steel, and various insulating materials to prevent electrical breakdown.

4. How long did it take to build the linear accelerator in 1967?

The exact timeline for building the linear accelerator in 1967 would depend on the specific project and resources available. However, building a linear accelerator can be a complex and time-consuming process, involving design, construction, testing, and commissioning. It could take anywhere from a few months to a few years to complete.

5. What advancements have been made in linear accelerator technology since 1967?

Since 1967, there have been significant advancements in linear accelerator technology, including the development of higher energy machines, improved precision and control, and the use of advanced imaging and software for treatment planning. There have also been advances in the materials and techniques used to build accelerators, making them more efficient and reliable.