Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST Group 2 - April Showers Bring May Flowers

Vote for your favorite

Poll closed Jun 7, 2007.
  1. 0TheSwerve0

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. Mk

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. ZapperZ

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  4. Integral

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. hypatia

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Jun 2, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is the 2nd group for this photo contest.

Please vote for the photo that best represents our theme, which is flowers. You have one vote in each group.

1. 0TheSwerve0
    [​IMG]

2. Mk
    [​IMG]

3. ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

4. Integral
    [​IMG]

5. hypatia
    [​IMG]

Contest thread

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2007 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, knew this would be a tough choice from the moment I saw the theme posted. *sigh* I think I'm going to go with Zz, though I also like Mk's photo (but parts are a bit out of focus) and hypatia's lonely looking flower (strawberries?), but the flower itself looks a bit fuzzy while the greenery is what's in focus. In a contest this tough, I have to be picky, even though I really like the overall idea of the lonely little flower. :frown:

4. Jun 2, 2007 #3

Mk

Out of these I like hypatia's :smile:

5. Jun 2, 2007 #4
    ZapperZ got my vote! Mk, is that Red Bottle Brush?

6. Jun 2, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I had to go with MK because bottle brushes held a special place in my heart growing up and to see these beautiful examples lifted my heart. :!!)

7. Jun 2, 2007 #6

Mk

:smile: Thanks, Evo

8. Jun 2, 2007 #7

Mk

Just look at the graph. Zz is obviously winning because of Gaussian distribution.

:approve:

9. Jun 4, 2007 #8
    I went with Zz as well.

10. Jun 4, 2007 #9
    integral
    wow they look so pretty

11. Jun 4, 2007 #10
    They are wild strawberries in my photo, and it takes about a 1,000 of them to make a jar of jam. The flavor just explodes in your mouth:!!) Lucky I know where theres several acres of them. You just got to fight off the bears:rofl:

12. Jun 4, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Our wild strawberries have white blossoms. they are tiny, but their flavor is intense. I've never been able to warm up to the cultivated berries, even when they are field ripened and just picked. Their "flat" flavor just can't compare. My mother and I would pick wild berries all day while my sisters slacked and whined about the black flies. Guess who clamored for the lion's share when we had strawberry shortcake on fresh home-made flaky biscuits, though.:grumpy: No matter what edible stuff was growing wild, we'd pick it, can it, freeze it, make jams, etc. I used to roam pretty far afield fishing in spring and early summer, and one of my responsibilities was to keep an eye on old fields, abandoned farms, etc for berries starting to ripen off, crabapples and apples to make into jams and jellies, etc. Growing up with a French/Indian heritage on my mother's side, I had a lot of "foraging" wired into my genes and encouraged by the family. I have a bear on the back side of my property that raids my wild blackberries, but he only shows up at night. I just wish he'd learn not to trample the canes to get at the better berries.

13. Jun 4, 2007 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Zz's is my favorite, since I think the photo definitely emphasizes the flower more so than the other ones.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?