VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try Science

In summary, the conversation is about voting for the best science-themed picture. The participants include Matthyaouw, ZapperZ, Lisab, Marzena, Glondor, Larkspur, Integral, and Andre. The picture in question is a picture of a capacitor/inductor bank, which ZapperZ explains is potentially dangerous and requires careful handling. There is also mention of ongoing research on EEG and dyslexia. Some participants mention voting for Lisab because of the explanation given for the picture. Glondor expresses difficulty in voting and ZapperZ mentions being too cool for words.

Vote now!

• Matthyaouw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Lisab

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Marzena

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Glondor

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Larkspur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Integral

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Andre

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Vote for the best science-themed picture.

1. Matthyaouw
2403150129_d43d012913.jpg

2. ZapperZ
img2837tu1.jpg

3.Lisab
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5706/ijoisten3.jpg

4. Marzena
marzena_science.jpg

5. Glondor
IMG_7419-1.jpg

6. Larkspur
3061880555_0bec4d81fb_o.jpg

7. Integral
Picture131a.jpg

8. Andre
zk62km.jpg

View the contest thread to read the science connection for each picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I voted for Lisa because the explanation gives meaning to the phrase: "stand back"

Andre said:
I voted for Lisa because the explanation gives meaning to the phrase: "stand back"
Me too. When I was doing compressive-strength tests of mortar and concrete, those test-cylinders would sometimes practically explode. I imagine that deflection-tests on beams could produce shrapnel, too.

Last edited:
Vote Marzena for Neuro.

kingdomof said:
Vote Marzena for Neuro.

This is ongoing research, they hope to find things in EEG that will help in early dyslexia diagnosis.

ZapperZ is too cool for words.

Andre said:

Actually the capacitor/inductor bank in my picture, when fully charged and operational, would also qualify to be included in the "stand back" advice. :)

It is typically charged up to 43 kV, and will be shielded behind a thick G10 board and interlocked inside a cabinet. Whenever the cabinet door is opened, a dump switch will close to ground all the capacitors. Still, one has to use a grounding stick and touch every single component in the cabinet before maintenance/repair work can commence.

Without all these safeguards, you literally will get a shock from even a couple of feet away.

And people say physics work is boring...

:)

Zz.

I have no option to vote. The lil spot to check is not there.

Very odd Glondor. You've not already voted have you? One name will appear in italics if you have. Post a note here if you still can't vote when you read this.
Is anyone else having problems?

1. What is the purpose of the "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try Science"?

The purpose of this contest is to promote and celebrate science through photography. It aims to showcase the beauty and importance of science in our world and encourage people to engage with science in a creative and fun way.

2. Who can participate in the "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try Science"?

The contest is open to anyone who is interested in science and photography. It is not limited to professional scientists or photographers, and amateurs and enthusiasts are encouraged to join.

3. What are the criteria for judging the photos in the "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try Science"?

The photos will be judged based on their creativity, relevance to science, technical quality, and overall impact. The judges will also consider how well the photo conveys the theme of the contest, "Stand back, I'm going to try Science".

4. How many photos can I submit for the "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try Science"?

Each participant can submit up to three photos for the contest. It is recommended to choose your best and most creative photos that represent the theme of the contest.

5. Can I edit or manipulate my photos for the "VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Stand back, I'm going to try Science"?

Minor editing and enhancements are allowed, such as adjusting brightness and contrast or cropping. However, major alterations or digital manipulations that change the original content of the photo are not permitted. This is to ensure the authenticity and integrity of the contest.