VOTE Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)

In summary, there will be 3 voting threads for a contest featuring the theme of "orange". Participants submitted various pictures, including a humorous photo from Chi Meson and a creative one from larkspur. The use of orange clothing in hunting was also discussed, with certain regulations and reasons for its use.

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)

• Andre

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Moonbear

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • ~christina~

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • alex_caps

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Chi Meson

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • turbo-1

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • larkspur

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Amazing pictures, everyone!

Due to the large number of entries, there will be 3 voting threads for this contest. Please vote once in EACH voting thread.

Since there can be many ways to interpret the theme, please make sure you keep in mind the theme and vote for the one that clearly resonates with you as being the best picture that represents the theme - ORANGE.

1. Andre
orange-2.JPG

2. Moonbear
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6599/orangevaseul2.jpg

3. ~christina~
http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/2457/mandarinrose2bywhitepegvm4.jpg

4. alex_caps
http://bikeflat.com/albums/newmexico/DSC_4910.sized.jpg

5. Chi Meson
spicerack.jpg

6. turbo-1
orange.jpg

7. larkspur
1860904458_802cb594c0_o.jpg

Contest thread.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tough one between Chi, Turbo and Larkspur, but I went with Chi just because the subject amuses me.

Nice pics everyone! I went with Turbo.

This was a tough choice. I'm going with ChiMeson. It was just the most striking subject (and humorous too). Though, larkspur's mutant cotton swab was incredibly clever and fun too. And I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can find a deer when the deer can see you coming for miles in that blazing orange get-up. :rofl: That definitely fit the orange them well too.

Moonbear said:
This was a tough choice. I'm going with ChiMeson. It was just the most striking subject (and humorous too). Though, larkspur's mutant cotton swab was incredibly clever and fun too. And I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can find a deer when the deer can see you coming for miles in that blazing orange get-up. :rofl: That definitely fit the orange them well too.
They are color-blind and can only sense the luminance of the hunting clothes - although that alone might make me look pretty white in their monochrome world.

turbo-1 said:
They are color-blind and can only sense the luminance of the hunting clothes - although that alone might make me look pretty white in their monochrome world.

I was just joking about that. But, it did just occur to me that hunting season begins in the fall, while the leaves on the trees are pretty orange too. Does orange really help one stand out against orange leaves? Once the leaves have dropped and there's snow on the ground, it'll help. Why do they sell all those camo clothes for hunters if you're not allowed to wear them? Or is that just to look tough while shopping in WalMart? :biggrin: Or is it only deer hunting season when you're required to wear blazing orange?

In bow-hunting season for deer and during turkey-hunting season, you're allowed to wear camo. During the firearms season for deer, though, you're required to wear this nasty-looking blaze orange. It helps alert other hunters to your presence, since NOTHING natural looks this luminous in those wavelengths, and it allows aerial spotters to locate hunters, detect potentially illegal deer-driving activities, etc. The leaves are pretty much off the trees now, so if you're hunting in hardwood or mixed-growth, spotters flying with Fish & Wildlife Dept pilots can see you a mile away. The intense orange of the clothing comes from the dominant wavelength of 595-605 nm with a required excitation purity of at last 85%.

turbo-1 said:
The intense orange of the clothing comes from the dominant wavelength of 595-605 nm with a required excitation purity of at last 85%.

Though most hunters simply say "Dagnabbit that's durn bright!"

Chi Meson said:
Though most hunters simply say "Dagnabbit that's durn bright!"
No kidding! If a hunter is driving around with some of this stuff in the cab of his pickup (not visible to you as an on-coming driver) and the sun can hit the clothing, you'll know he's got hunting clothes anyway, because the inside of his cab will be glowing orange like it's on fire. That's a tip-off to wardens doing "random" road checks. :cool:

When I was a kid, we'd wear red (or green or blue) and black plaid Woolrich wool jackets, pants, etc, often with red gloves to get other hunters' attention. That stuff was a lot better for sneaking through the woods without alerting loud birds like bluejays and crows who like to give warning calls about intruders.

All the photos were great, so I had to go with larkspur's creative one. Her picture just makes you notice the color immediately, since there is no other distinguishing feature! Ie., "Hey, what's that orange thing?" Clever. :)

Last edited:
slider142 said:
All the photos were great, so I had to go with larkspur's creative one. His picture just makes you notice the color immediately, since there is no other distinguishing feature! Ie., "Hey, what's that orange thing?" Clever. :)
Psst! "He's" a she.:redface:

turbo-1 said:
Psst! "He's" a she.:redface:
Can I weasel by with the excuse that I was just following lazy pronoun rules?:blushing:

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
The leaves are pretty much off the trees now, so if you're hunting in hardwood or mixed-growth, spotters flying with Fish & Wildlife Dept pilots can see you a mile away.

The trees here still have pretty dense foliage right now. The colors changed a bit later than usual (limiting my ability to get a pretty orange tree as my photo entry this year), so we still have trees with green leaves, and most only changed last week (it was a pretty rapid change once it finally happened though). I don't think another week is going to make a lot of difference in terms of foliage (firearms season starts the Monday before Thanksgiving here, it's still bow season right now...though looks more like motorvehicle season, I'm just not sure if it's deer hunting cars or cars hunting deer :uhh:).

slider142 said:
Can I weasel by with the excuse that I was just following lazy pronoun rules?:blushing:
Nope! The PF sisters like to use ANY excuse to whap you up alongside the head with a big fish. If the offense is egregious, the fish will still be frozen hard. :eek:

turbo-1 said:
If the offense is egregious, the fish will still be frozen hard. :eek:

*starts digging in bottom of freezer for that fish frozen in a block of ice* :devil:

Moonbear said:
*starts digging in bottom of freezer for that fish frozen in a block of ice* :devil:
You go Moonbear! I am all out of fish:biggrin:

No...wait...I found a package of blackened salmon fillets. Here goes...----->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...Thunk!
Did I hit anything??:confused:

Last edited:
>>>>>>feels around in the dark for thawed salmon fillet. Grills it and takes a photo for next orange photo contest...then feeds it to cat.

The first round of voting for this contest is about to end in a few hours. Get your votes in in all THREE groups, if you haven't done so already.

Zz.

What is the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)"?

The "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)" is a photography contest organized by the organization "VOTE PF" that focuses on the color orange. Participants are invited to submit their best photographs featuring the color orange for a chance to win prizes.

How can I participate in the contest?

To participate in the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)", you must first register on the organization's website. Once registered, you can submit your photo entry through the designated submission form. Make sure to follow all the guidelines and rules of the contest.

Who can enter the contest?

The contest is open to anyone over the age of 18, regardless of nationality or location. However, employees and immediate family members of the organization "VOTE PF" are not eligible to participate.

What are the prizes for the winners?

The winners of the "VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)" will receive cash prizes, as well as have their winning photos featured on the organization's website and social media platforms. The exact amount of cash prizes will be announced on the contest's website.

How are the winners selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, composition, and overall impact of their photos. The decision of the judges is final and cannot be appealed. Winners will be announced on the contest's website and social media platforms.