PF PHOTO CONTEST - Orange (11/3-11/9)

In summary: Dutch do know how to party. I was there with Queen's Night, but I'm sure the day itself is great.Zz.In summary, the conversation was about the theme of "Orange" for a photo contest. Participants were reminded of the rules, including resizing and cropping photos, only one submission per person, and using their own original photos. Several photos were shared, including an orange vase, a rose, hunting gear, habaneros, q-tips, and Queen's Day celebrations in the Netherlands. The contest deadline was also mentioned.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Orange!

This week, you have your own imagination in interpreting our theme. So use your creativity to choose a picture that can be suitably given the title of "Orange".

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although Orange is the national Dutch color, natural orange prevails:

orange-2.JPG

That's not showing up here Andre, don't know if it's my computer, or something wrong with the pic

I see it fine.

All I see is a little red x

NeoDevin said:
All I see is a little red x

right click on the little red 'x', go to properties, copy the address (URL), and then paste it into the browser address window box----see if it comes it then

One of the orange vases from the last PF gathering. Thank goodness the rules allow cropping! :biggrin:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6599/orangevaseul2.jpg

Yeah, I know it's not quite focused, but better than anything else I have. It wasn't intended to be the focus of the original photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drat! You took my picture!

:)

Now I have to go look for another "orange" thingy.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Drat! You took my picture!

:)

Now I have to go look for another "orange" thingy.

Zz.

:rofl: Sorry...you should've known more than one person had photos of those. :biggrin: :tongue: My only other option was a photo of my cat getting into trouble, and she's only part orange, and now that she isn't a kitten anymore, I don't think she'd score as many cute points (besides, I think everyone has seen enough photos of her in contest threads :rolleyes:).

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/2457/mandarinrose2bywhitepegvm4.jpg

In my garden...this rose in particular smells delightful.
(sort of like peaches mixed with a lot of sugar)
took this from my 2nd story window

~christina~ said:
In my garden...this rose in particular smells delightful.
(sort of like peaches mixed with a lot of sugar)
took this from my 2nd story window

Again, check the SIZE of your picture.

Zz.

Sun rise Sun set?

http://bikeflat.com/albums/newmexico/DSC_4910.sized.jpg

you seem either to have managed to grow Cumulus mammatus or put picture upside down.

A wedding present in the wood stove.
spicerack.jpg

Chi Meson said:
A wedding present in the wood stove.
spicerack.jpg
Not a favorite spice rack, eh?

The dang thing kept falling over. And it spun too easily, so you couldn't get the jar in with one hand. This was my favorite moment for that rack!

When you're hunting during the firearms season for deer, you're legally required to be blindingly orange... Here is some of my hunting gear on the patio table.

orange.jpg

Last edited:
1860904458_802cb594c0_o.jpg

I wish this had come around before I harvested my habaneros!

What's the closing date for this contest?

I have an entry, but I'll wait and see if I can find anything less stupid than my current one to submit.

I've added the omitted date of the contest to the thread title.

Zz.

larkspur said:
1860904458_802cb594c0_o.jpg

what are we looking at there, Larkspur?

Ovae, I believe, of the genus Gallus gallus.

Math Is Hard said:
what are we looking at there, Larkspur?
Q-tips:smile:

I meant genus Stickus gossypium.

larkspur said:
Q-tips:smile:

I wonder how that rogue orange q-tip made it through quality control. Is that some sort of q-tip mutation that arises periodically?

Math Is Hard said:
I wonder how that rogue orange q-tip made it through quality control. Is that some sort of q-tip mutation that arises periodically?

I think it must have been an after market mutation.

Orange?

That's a better one for us Nederlanders...

Queen's Day Boat Jam

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8222/queensday2007022uj8.jpg

Wow, I'd heard about the Queen's Day parties in the Netherlands, but had never seen a picture to grasp the full impact of the scale of the party on the boats. I'm surprised some of those boats are still floating with the number of people on them! :bugeye:

J77 said:
Orange?

That's a better one for us Nederlanders...

Queen's Day Boat Jam
Cool!

Here's mine taken down by the river with my cell phone cam :rolleyes:. Well I forgot my digital camera.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2363/orangelc5.jpg

Astronuc said:
Here's mine taken down by the river with my cell phone cam :rolleyes:. Well I forgot my digital camera.

It looks like a painting! (I'm not saying it is one, but just noting that the cellphone camera hardware makes it appear so. It may well get my vote. The composition is great. :smile:)

WOW, Astronuc! :bugeye:

Now THAT'S Orange!

Great shot! I can't believe it was taken with a cell phone cam.

Math Is Hard said:
Now THAT'S Orange!

I Know! It is VERY Orange!

Hang on. I have a picture coming.

OK. here is my picture.

I didn't have anything stunning, so I went practical.

TheOrange.gif

Last edited:
neutrino said:
It looks like a painting! (I'm not saying it is one, but just noting that the cellphone camera hardware makes it appear so. It may well get my vote. The composition is great. :smile:)
It may be a little fuzzy because I probably put my finger over the lens when retrieving it from my pocket. I basically helf up the phone and captured the image. It probably doesn't have a great depth of field and is design probably for closer images. It's hard to tell from the screen how well focused it is, especially when the sun is behind one.

Math Is Hard said:
WOW, Astronuc! :bugeye:

Now THAT'S Orange!

Great shot! I can't believe it was taken with a cell phone cam.
Oh! My eyes! :cool:

Thanks guys! I was on my usual lunchtime walk, got down to the river, saw the orange colors and thought of this thread. I didn't bring my digital camera, but the cell phone has a camera - so I took the picture. And then - I emailed it to myself from my cell phone. Hah!

I haven't yet figured out where they put the laser beam and disintegration ray yet, but I'm sure it's got one. I don't use it for games or shopping on line. :yuck: