Waiting for a postdoctoral application's decision: what to do next?

• Thread starter dtgiang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decision
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's application for a postdoc position in Australia and the delay in receiving a decision. The interviewer mentioned that they would make a decision in one or two weeks, but it has been four weeks with no updates. The host institution has contacted the first and second PhD supervisors but the speaker is unsure of their chances. They are advised to reach out to the host institution for an update and to inquire about their chances. The speaker is hesitant to contact them as they had a negative experience in a similar situation before. However, they are encouraged to still call and confirm their status.
dtgiang
I'm applying for a postdoc position, say, in Australia. At the end of the interview, the reviewer said that the decision would be made soon after one or two weeks. Now four weeks passed, no recalls. It seems that the host institution has contacted my first PhD supervisor in the first week, and the second supervisor in the third week.
What should I do now? Should I ask them whether they decided?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course.

Chances are good they offered it to someone else, and that person hasn't made a decision as to whether or not they'd take it. If it takes this long to get back to you, you're probably still in the running but might not be the top choice.

It's fine to call or email to ask at this point.

Many thanks.

I did ask them, but still there was no replies. Do you think how much chance (percentages) I still have. Does that mean that my application was denied?
Thank you in advance for any answer?

It would be good to call them and ask for the situation. You may see a thing or two from their answers, even when the answers are not straight forward.

Last time, when I was applying for a PhD, same situation happened. I somehow showed anger to the employer, and the application failed. This time, I don't know how to say in the voice call. Well, maybe I'll call them at least to confirm that I no longer need to hope.
Thanks a lot, luben, anyway.

Related to Waiting for a postdoctoral application's decision: what to do next?

What is a postdoctoral application?

A postdoctoral application is a process where an individual with a PhD degree applies for a temporary research position in a university or research institution after completing their doctoral degree.

How long does it usually take to hear back about a postdoctoral application?

The timeline for hearing back about a postdoctoral application varies depending on the institution and the specific position. On average, it can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. It is important to remain patient and not contact the institution for updates too frequently.

What can I do while waiting for a decision on my postdoctoral application?

While waiting for a decision, it is important to continue your research and work on publications. You can also network with other researchers and attend conferences to expand your knowledge and connections. Additionally, you may consider applying for other postdoctoral positions as a backup plan.

How should I respond if I receive a rejection for my postdoctoral application?

Receiving a rejection for a postdoctoral application can be disappointing, but it is important to remain professional and thank the institution for considering your application. You can also ask for feedback on your application to improve for future opportunities.

What should I do if I receive an acceptance for my postdoctoral application?

Congratulations! If you receive an acceptance for your postdoctoral application, make sure to carefully review the terms and conditions of the offer. You may also need to negotiate salary, benefits, and start date. Once everything is finalized, make sure to notify your current institution and make arrangements for your transition to the new position.