Was Einstein's 'The world as I see it' originally written in English or German?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
FVS
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
A very famous one which starts with:
"What an extraordinary situation is that of us mortals! Each of us is here for a
brief sojourn; for what ..."
I'm a little curious because I'm not an English native and feel so strange by grammar of the essay. And I guess he did write it originally in English :D Someone know about this :) ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FVS! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't know whether Einstein wrote this piece of English, or whether a translator wrote it, but whoever it was was obviously influenced by traditional religious English.

If you look at the King James Version or the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, or traditional Christian or Jewish prayer-books, you'll see where he was coming from! :wink:
 
[STRIKE]Der Aufsatz ist sehr interessant.[/STRIKE]

Edit: Keeping with the forum rules; "The essay is very interesting." :redface:
 
Last edited:
Please keep to PF rules:

All posts must be in English. Posts in other languages will be deleted.