Was Genz right about nothingness? possible stupid question

• Thread starter scooterblenny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: The idea that space can be empty? That idea is still valid in certain contexts, but modern theories do not describe space as truly empty.In summary, the conversation is about the concept of empty space and whether it is possible for space to be completely empty. The person's co-worker mentioned the Higgs field as a factor in space being empty, but the other person is skeptical and asks for clarification. The discussion also touches on whether this theory has been proven or debunked. Ultimately, it is explained that the idea of empty space is still valid in certain contexts, but modern theories do not see space as completely empty.
scooterblenny
Ok guys, first of all I apologize if this question is not worded correctly, is in the wrong section, and for any other thing that may be wrong. I am not a scientist, physics is merely a topic I enjoy learning about. So here's the situation.. I have this co-worker who fancies himself a brainiac.. and he just read Genz's book on nothingness and he tried to tell me that space (or parts of it) are completely empty and it has something to do with the higgs field. Now.. I'm pretty sure this is wrong in some way, as I thought there's no way space can actually be empty (and I'm sure this book is out of date). Has this been proven? The problem is I know he's probably wrong but I don't know how to rationally explain why I think so, is it dark matter/higgs field (are these things even relevant?) basically I'd like to know if this theory is still valid or if it's been debunked since.. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and answer this question. And please .. no flaming. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
and he tried to tell me that space (or parts of it) are completely empty and it has something to do with the higgs field.
That looks strange.

as I thought there's no way space can actually be empty
Depends on the definition of "empty". If "empty" is "free of particles", parts of space can be empty. If it is "free of quantum field theory fields" (like the Higgs field, for example), it cannot.

Has this been proven?
There are no proofs in physics.

basically I'd like to know if this theory is still valid or if it's been debunked since..
Which theory?

1. What is "nothingness" in the context of Genz's theory?

Nothingness, in the context of Genz's theory, refers to the idea that the universe is ultimately void of any meaning or purpose.

2. How did Genz come to this conclusion about nothingness?

Genz's theory of nothingness is based on a combination of philosophical and scientific reasoning. He argues that the laws of physics and the concept of entropy ultimately lead to a state of complete disorder and nothingness.

3. Is there any evidence to support Genz's theory of nothingness?

Currently, there is no concrete scientific evidence to support Genz's theory of nothingness. It is largely a philosophical idea that is not yet scientifically testable.

4. What are some criticisms of Genz's theory?

Some critics argue that Genz's theory of nothingness is too pessimistic and does not take into account the potential for new discoveries and advancements in science. Others argue that the concept of nothingness is too abstract and cannot be proven or disproven.

5. How does Genz's theory of nothingness impact our understanding of the universe?

Genz's theory challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as being ordered and purposeful. It forces us to consider the possibility that there may not be a grand plan or meaning to our existence. However, it is ultimately a theoretical concept and does not change our current knowledge of the universe based on scientific evidence.