Water found on distant planet (hot Jupiter at 63 LY)

In summary, the Spitzer Space Telescope was used to measure the light absorbed by the Jupiter-like planet HD 189733b as it passed in front of its companion star. The results showed that the planet has an atmosphere of water vapor.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Water found on distant planet
from PhysicsWeb News at 17:01 PM GMT
An international team of astronomers has obtained the first convincing evidence of water in the atmosphere of a planet outside our solar system. They came to this conclusion using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope to measure the light absorbed by the Jupiter-like planet HD 189733b as it passed in front of its companion star. However, the planet, which lies some 63 light years from Earth, is unlikely to harbour life as its surface temperature can reach 1200K. (Nature 448 169).
July 11, 2007 17:01 PM GMT
====================

I guess part of the point is that absorption spectroscopy can now detect water in the atmosphere of exoplanets.

It is no surprise that water exists on some exoplanets, but it is nice that instruments can detect it.

Now if they would find water in the atmosphere of a planet in habitable zone that would be nice.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
What I want to know is, how is the water on such a planet prevented from boiling off? The normal boiling point for water on our planet is 373 degrees K, and this planet is apparently 4 times that hot...(I suppose an argument can be made for a higher atmospheric pressure on this panet but at this temp, that seems sort of unlikely to me...)

Last edited:
When they say water - that includes water vapour.
The mass of a Jupiter like planet gives you a lot of gravity, certainly enough to hold onto an atmosphere,
our Jupiter is made of methane but that doesn't boil off.

thats so cool, thanks marcus =)
I personally find the technique they used even more interesting than the find itself

When they say water - that includes water vapour.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess my mental image of streams of water being found was too optimistic :tongue:

1. Is the water on the distant planet drinkable?

It is highly unlikely that the water on a hot Jupiter at 63 light years away would be drinkable for humans. The planet is likely to have extreme temperatures and atmospheric conditions that would make it inhospitable for life as we know it.

2. How was the water discovered on the distant planet?

The water on the distant planet was likely detected through spectroscopic observations using telescopes. Scientists can analyze the light from the planet and look for specific wavelengths that indicate the presence of water molecules.

3. Is there any evidence of life on the distant planet due to the discovery of water?

The discovery of water on a distant planet does not necessarily indicate the presence of life. While water is essential for life as we know it, many other factors such as temperature, atmosphere, and proximity to a star also play a crucial role in determining if a planet can support life.

4. What implications does the discovery of water on a hot Jupiter have for the search for habitable exoplanets?

The discovery of water on a hot Jupiter at such a large distance from Earth expands our understanding of the conditions in which water can exist on other planets. This can help guide future research and increase our chances of finding habitable exoplanets.

5. Could the water on the distant planet be used as a potential source for future space exploration missions?

It is highly unlikely that the water on a distant hot Jupiter would be a useful resource for space exploration missions. The cost and challenges of extracting and transporting water from such a distant and inhospitable planet would outweigh any potential benefits.