Water invert house, fill it fail?

• Thread starter johnsonb.engr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a water vessel shaped like an inverted house and finding the pressure and force distribution along its walls. The equation used to calculate pressure was P=P(atm) + (density)(gravity)(depth), which resulted in a y=x graph. However, the force curve, F=A*P=(length of tank)(dh)(pressure)=(density)(gravity)(length of tank)(depth)^2, showed a curve where y represented pressure and x represented depth. The question arose whether the slope of the graph should change once it reaches the starting depth of the triangle, due to the change in angle. The second question asked about the best approach to analyzing if the inverted house water tank might fail due to the weight
johnsonb.engr
Hello Every one,

I am trying to design water vessel which shaped like an inverted house (i.e. a rectangle attached to a triangle). I want to find the pressure and force distribution along the walls of tank (it is open to atmosphere). I have tried solving this in excel using the equation

P=P(atm) + (density)(gravity)(depth).

I plotted the graph and it gave me a y=x graph (which makes sense to me)

However, when i plotted the force curve,

F=A*P=(length of tank)(dh)(pressure)=(density)(gravity)(length of tank)(depth)^2

I graphed the function in excel (please attached photo) and got a curve[where y-pressure and x-depth. However it would seem to me that slope of the graph should change once the graph reaches the starting depth of the triangle (the top part of house) because the angle changes. Am i right?

1Question: What would a force distribution curve (depth vs pressure) look like for an inverted house?

2Question: In analyzing if an inverted house water tank might fail due to the weight of the water, what is the best way to approach this? (von mises stresses, ect...)

NOTE: the tank is made of hard plastic. The red section of the curve is the point where the walls start tapering off to triangular point.

ps. not sure if this is in right section, please move if necessary.

Attachments

• house of water.bmp
    299.2 KB · Views: 633
Engineering news on Phys.org
The pressure at any depth depends on the depth, not on the shape of the surrounding container.

1. What is a water invert house?

A water invert house is a unique type of house that is partially submerged in water. It is typically built on stilts or pillars and the lower levels are designed to be filled with water.

2. How does a water invert house work?

The water invert house works by utilizing the natural buoyancy of water. The lower level of the house is designed to be filled with water, creating a stable foundation. The upper levels of the house are then built on top of this foundation.

3. What are the benefits of a water invert house?

One of the main benefits of a water invert house is its unique design and aesthetic appeal. It also has the potential to provide a more energy-efficient living space, as the water can help regulate the temperature inside the house.

4. Can a water invert house fail?

Like any other structure, a water invert house can fail if it is not properly designed, built, and maintained. Factors such as water pressure, soil stability, and extreme weather conditions can also contribute to potential failures.

5. How can a water invert house be filled and emptied?

A water invert house can be filled and emptied using a pump system. The water can also be circulated to prevent stagnation and maintain water quality. Additionally, some water invert houses may have a drainage system or a mechanism to control the water level.