We all love to prove things [spectral broadening/relativity]

• Thread starter fasterthanjoao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the conversation discusses the user's previous posts asking for help, their current need for assistance with proofs related to spectral broadening and relativity, and their apologies for not being able to provide LaTeX formatting for the questions. They also mention that the questions require pre-honours level astronomy knowledge and thank the members for their help. The conversation then moves on to discussing the Doppler effect and its effects on wavelength and frequency, as well as the rms speed of a gas at a given temperature and its relation to the width of an absorption/emission line. The conversation ends with the user asking for clarification on certain formulas and their use in the proofs.
fasterthanjoao
Well, hopefully this is going to be my last help-thread for a while, i'd like to start repaying the members. You may have noticed I've posted a few threads asking for help tonight, and I thank the members who have read my threads very much. I've narrowed down points of my course that I remain unsure about (after hours, believe me) of reading my textbooks and any others I can find and I *think* this is the last of it.

I have attached two documents (yeah I know, attached) of scanned in questions that require prooving. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to prove these myself, yet, and I have spent a lot of time trying to do so. I also apologize for the lack of latex, I spent ages trying to 'tex these questions up, but kept getting error messages to be honest I need to take a break, so I'd appreciate it a lot if some of you guys would look at my problems.

Note: these are not homework problems, I'm just trying to understand my course - any help with any of these proofs is greatly appreciated - be it completed proofs or guidelines. I promise that when I'm back on after a nap, I'll give latex another bash and respond to any queries you may have about these questions.

They require pre-honours level astronomy knowledge (or good thermal/bit o' quantum physics) - The first ones are on spectral broadening, and there's a quick relativity related proof (I think these ones are the easiest).

Thank you, and yes I'm aware that several members don't like handwritten documents so i'll try and get it sorted. thanks,
[tex] \delta [/tex]

ftj.

Attachments

• 1.GIF
    1.GIF
    27.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Alright, let's start from the beginning and treat these like homework problems. It won't help much if you don't work through them.

1a. What is the wavelength shift produced by the doppler effect if an object is moving at a velocity, v? Then, imagine you're viewing the disk edge-on and you're looking only at material located at a radius, R. Which material will exhibit the strongest doppler shift? How quickly is it moving relative to you?

b. What is the rms speed of a gas at temperature, T, composed of particles, each of mass, m? What is the doppler shift produced by particles moving at this speed? How does this relate to the width of the associated absorption/emission line?

SpaceTiger said:
1a. What is the wavelength shift produced by the doppler effect if an object is moving at a velocity, v? Then, imagine you're viewing the disk edge-on and you're looking only at material located at a radius, R. Which material will exhibit the strongest doppler shift? How quickly is it moving relative to you?

The Doppler shift of material at a radius R is? with omega as the angular velocity?
[tex] \Delta \nu = \frac{\nu_{0}}{c}[\Omega(R) - \Omega(R_{0})]R_{0}[/tex]

Though, I think if I take that the Doppler shift is in one direction (in my direction?) I can take the shift as: [tex] \Delta \nu = \frac{\Omega_{x}}{c} [/tex]

Can I then change from frequency to wavelength and substitute the Keplerian speed in the process? Is it wrong to say that radio of a change in wavelength to the initial wavelength is the ratio of change in frequency to the initial frequency?

SpaceTiger said:
b. What is the rms speed of a gas at temperature, T, composed of particles, each of mass, m? What is the doppler shift produced by particles moving at this speed? How does this relate to the width of the associated absorption/emission line?

[tex] \frac{1}{2}m<v_{x}>^2 = \frac{1}{2}kT \\
v_{x}=\sqrt{\frac{kT}{m}} [/tex] - I think I see that this is the most probable speed rather than the rms, and I'm reading that the rms is:[tex] v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi m}} [/tex]

I can go from this to say that since, [tex] \frac{\Delta \nu}{\nu_{0}} = \frac{\nu_{x}}{c}} [/tex] then:
[tex] \frac{\Delta \nu}{\nu_{0}} = \sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi m c^2}} [/tex].

Last edited:
fasterthanjoao said:
The Doppler shift of material at a radius R is? with omega as the angular velocity?
[tex] \Delta \nu = \frac{\nu_{0}}{c}[\Omega(R) - \Omega(R_{0})]R_{0}[/tex]

This is the maximum Doppler shift from material at radius, R, and yes, omega is the angular velocity. How is it expressed in terms of ordinary velocity?

Though, I think if I take that the Doppler shift is in one direction (in my direction?) I can take the shift as: [tex] \Delta \nu = \frac{\Omega_{x}}{c} [/tex]

I'm not sure how you're getting this formula. What happened to [itex]\nu_0[/itex] and R?

Can I then change from frequency to wavelength and substitute the Keplerian speed in the process? Is it wrong to say that radio of a change in wavelength to the initial wavelength is the ratio of change in frequency to the initial frequency?

Yes to the first question. You can answer the second question yourself. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency. What happens when I differentiate this formula (i.e., take small intervals [itex]\Delta \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\Delta \nu[/itex])?

and I'm reading that the rms is:[tex] v_{rms}=\sqrt{\frac{8kT}{\pi m}} [/tex]

Where are you reading that? In a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, that looks like the mean speed.

I can go from this to say that since, [tex] \frac{\Delta \nu}{\nu_{0}} = \frac{\nu_{x}}{c}} [/tex] then:

What is [itex]\nu_x[/itex]?

1. What is spectral broadening?

Spectral broadening is a phenomenon in which the spectral width, or range of frequencies, of a signal increases. This can occur due to various factors such as interference, dispersion, or non-linear effects. In the context of optics, spectral broadening is often seen as a widening of the spectrum of light, resulting in a broader range of colors being present.

2. How is spectral broadening measured?

Spectral broadening can be measured using a spectrometer, which is a device that separates light into its component wavelengths. The width of the resulting spectrum can then be measured and compared to the original spectrum to determine the degree of broadening.

3. What is the significance of spectral broadening in scientific research?

Spectral broadening is an important phenomenon in many areas of scientific research, particularly in optics and spectroscopy. It can provide valuable information about the properties of a material or system, such as its refractive index or composition. Spectral broadening can also be used to study the effects of light-matter interactions and can aid in the development of new technologies.

4. How does relativity affect spectral broadening?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This can have an impact on spectral broadening, as the speed of light and the distance it travels can be altered in different reference frames. Additionally, the effects of relativity can cause spectral broadening in certain situations, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. Can spectral broadening be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, spectral broadening can be controlled or manipulated in various ways. This can be achieved through the use of specific materials or systems that are designed to alter the properties of light, such as using nonlinear optics to induce spectral broadening. Additionally, precise control over the conditions in which spectral broadening occurs can be achieved through advanced technologies and techniques, allowing for a deeper understanding and utilization of this phenomenon.