Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weyl ordering of the hamiltonian

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    Hi , I can't understand the general formula for weyl ordering of the hamiltonian . It is written in Srednicki field theory book in page 68 . Can someone explain how to derive this formula ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You can't derive a specific ordering of the Hamiltonian; the ordering of operators is a quantization ambiguity which has no classical counterpart. Usually you have p²/2m for the kinetic energy of a particle but there is no qm principle which tells you that (px)(p/x)/2m is wrong. Different ordering schemes may result in different physics and you have to use an additional, independent physical principle in orer to select the "correct" one.

In case of a curved manifold with a free particle moving on that manifold one reasonable idea is to use the Laplace-Beltrami operator as kinetic energy; this results in a unique operator ordering.

Perhaps Srednicki explains something like that ...

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The Weyl ordering tries to define a general prescription for operator ordering: complete symmetrization.

O(qn pm) ≡ 2-n Σ qn−i pm qi where the sum runs i=0 to n.

But difficult questions like operator ordering are a reason that people turned away from Langrangian formulation and were led instead to path integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook