Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What 2000-2010 should be remembered as.

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    What 2000-2010 should be remembered as.......

The decade from 2000-2010 should be remembered as the decade of hysteria. It's been on massive public hysteria after another. First there was Y2K, then the BS government terror alerts of 2002-2003 (anyone remember the fiasco with duct tape and plastic sheeting?), anti-vaxx nonsense, anti-genetic engineering, LHC going to blow up the world predictions (at least one person actually committed suicide because of this a couple years ago), and now the current hysterics on deck are 2012, the anti-vaxx nonsense (still), and the anti-GM scare mongering.

None of these predictions/fears ever panned out, not one. You'd think we'd learn, but so many of us still haven't. Truely a sad start to the 21st century, let's do better.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2
    Re: What 2000-2010 should be remembered as.......

People have always been like that, from generation to generation. It's just that you hear about more often, and everyone has softened up in a way that a slightest irritation is a green light to take things to the supreme court.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And the bird flu, the swine flu, Planet X, the economy,.. the Hysteria Decade gets my vote. Also the "everyone's a star" decade -- youtube, reality shows, blogs...

I feel like we've been testing out the "information age" for the past decade and pushing its limits. We are drowning in information and still thirsting for knowledge. I think this has had a lot to do with shaping PF over the years, particularly in the eschewing of wild, popular speculation and the embracing of mainstream science as our mainstay.

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

The Hysterical Decade may be a good choice, although the feminists won't like it (to see why, look up the etymology of hysteria).

How about the Paranoid Decade?

6. Jan 6, 2010 #5

This is paranoia about paranoia.

7. Jan 6, 2010 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

No, this is paranoia followed by a suggestion of paranoia.

I'm not paranoid of paranoia yet.

8. Jan 7, 2010 #7

I think the biggest problem is the general publics total lack of critical thinking and logical analysis skills. Yeah we have all this information, but so many don't really know how to process it. Information + irrational panicky people = hysteria.

9. Jan 7, 2010 #8

diazona

Homework Helper

So what, Decade of Stupidity? Isn't that every decade?

10. Jan 7, 2010 #9

drizzle

Gold Member

... I'd call it the decade of truth pealing

11. Jan 7, 2010 #10

There was probably just as much hysteria in the 90's and 80's and so forth. We just remember the last 10 years the best.
    That was before the year 2000. It doesn't make sense to be hysterical about it after 2000 came and finding out nothing happened. But I'm not guaranteed that people will act sensibly.
    Really? I never heard about that. What a nutcase.
    Thanks for making me look that up. That's interesting.

12. Jan 7, 2010 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True. When it takes money to publish and distribute information, the ability to discriminate between knowledge and crap is less important (not unimportant, which is why the bibliography is always such an important part of a report - but how many students ever really understood why they needed to do a bibliography). Yes, it takes time for people to realize that search engine rankings, even by sophisticated providers such as Google or Yahoo, don't serve as an adequate replacement for learning the difference between "knowledge" and "trash".

The other interesting part of this was people learning how to deliberately drown out undesirable information on the internet. Within days of the Terry Schiavo decision, probably 99% of the first 20 pages on google searches on Judge George Greer were rehashes of the same anti-Greer diatribe distributed across web page after web page. It was almost impossible to find out any information about Greer's judicial career or decisions prior to the Schiavo case.

By the way, those folks were still irate with Google for eventually foiling their efforts, even two years after the fact - http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/2007/012007SchiavoBias.html [Broken]. While I think it's important to prevent organizations from denying information on the internet by overwhelming search engines the way anti-Greer advocates did, the newspaper's editorial voices some equally valid concerns on the flip side, where somebody has to decide that certain information will be "banned" from displaying in Google searches.

And, the other interesting development was internet campaign donations to the Obama campaign (not exactly information age, but different use of the same technology).

Some interesting developments in the information age where anyone, regardless of their qualifications, can compete on an equal footing with the giants of their respecive field (for a few minutes anyway) and where average citizens can band together to wage information warfare against each other and where average citizens can band together to compete against the rich when it comes to political campaigns.

Watching so many people learning new ways to use a new technology is kind of exciting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Jan 7, 2010 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget the impact that tv and movies have on spreading rubbish.

14. Jan 7, 2010 #13

Those mediums are old news and much less efficient than the Internet.

And guys, people have always condemned new mediums which makes information spread faster than before. Even when the printing press was invented did people think that it had negative impact since it was so much easier for dumb people to spread their words.

Anyway the strongest characteristic of this decade is that the Internet went public. In the 90's most didn't have access to the Internet and even for those who had the Internet provided far less features back then compared to now and most Businesses hadn't discovered it etc.

15. Jan 7, 2010 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting comparison. The printing press created a whole religion. Instead of Christians having to rely on religious leaders to explain the Bible and how it should be interpreted, Christians could read it themselves and interpret it themselves. As a result, Christianity split into Catholicism and Protestantism.

In fact, the ability to look up a few quotes, coupled with access to a TV station during off-peak hours and anyone had the ability to create their own fortune through televangelism.

You wonder how long it will take for those unable to spare the money and/or time to attend college to decide the traditional dispensers of science info are unnecessary. All a person will need to create their own fortune is a Physics book (preferably one downloaded for free) and a blog on WordPress.

16. Jan 7, 2010 #15

Dembadon

Gold Member

Crisis and fear will always be used to manipulate people. Emotional manipulation is a powerful tool and is constantly administered by those seeking money, power, attention, ratings, etc.

As Evo and BobG have alluded to, the media plays an enormous role. T.V. personalities like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity can spout off with some of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard in my life and people will eat it up.

17. Jan 7, 2010 #16

iPods, Androids (Smaller computers)
    China
    Cultural conflicts, terrorism, airport securities

18. Jan 7, 2010 #17

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only eleven-year decade in history? :biggrin:

19. Jan 7, 2010 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, if the decade went from 1 Jan 2000 00:00:00.00 to 31 Dec 2009 23:59:59.99, and the next decade began at 1 Jan 2010 00:00:00.00, what do you call that tenth of a second in between?

This is something that seems trivial, but keep in mind that an extra leap second has to be inserted from time to time. That means there's a possibility that you could have an entire 1.01 seconds floating out there, not really belonging to either decade.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  20. Jan 8, 2010 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11/4/00 - 11/3/08 defines the decade for me - the decade that America lost its mind and became a place that I no longer recognized. It was personally devastating to watch.

All is well now: Dr. Obama is in.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  21. Jan 9, 2010 #20

Even though he hasn't looked into Bush's misdeeds? Even though crap like endemic domestic surveillance still happens?

22. Jan 9, 2010 #21

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Domestic surveillance is a necessity. Security cameras on government property (which includes public roads) are a great example.

However, the Rove... er, Bush administration took it too far, to be exact, into people's houses and telephones, to the point where people feared the wrong word, a misplaced joke, could get them branded a terrorist.

Now granted, I already experience this in public, especially around minorities and women, but I expect my private conversations to be private.

23. Jan 9, 2010 #22

It's not well yet. It WILL be well. At least that's what we're told. I'm glad some people think that America instantaneously became a utopia the day he was elected.

24. Jan 9, 2010 #23

"The Decade of Incessant Masturbation"

Oh wait, is this suppose to apply to everyone?

25. Jan 9, 2010 #24

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Yes, Pinu, not just you. :)

26. Jan 10, 2010 #25

ideasrule

Homework Helper

:biggrin:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook