What are common questions asked during a Medical Physics interview?

In summary, the conversation is about a member of the physicsforums community being invited for an interview/orientation for a CAMPEP accredited Medical Physics PhD program. They are seeking advice on what kind of questions are usually asked and are excited about the opportunity. Some potential questions that may be asked during the interview are discussed, as well as some questions that the student may want to ask. The importance of remembering that an interview is a two-way street is also mentioned.
some1rational
Hey physicsforums community,

I've recently been invited for an interview/orientation as a prospective PhD candidate in a CAMPEP accredited Medical Physics program. I was wondering if someone who's been through such an interview could elaborate on what kind of questions are asked?

I'm just very excited (since that school was my first choice out of all the schools I've applied to) and would like to be more prepared to give good answers when the time comes.

Thanks, I appreciate any comments/advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the interview is a two-way street.

Questions that are likely to be asked of the student:
- what specifically attracted you to our program?
- what areas of research are you interested in?
- do you have any project ideas in mind?
- what have you read about the field?
- what work that has come out of our institution are you familair with?
- how do you plan on balancing research and the other aspects of your life?

Questions the student may want to ask:
- where are the recent graduates from this program right now?
- at what point will I have to choose a supervisor/project?
- what opportunities are there for practical work experience?
- what facilities will students have access to and when?
- what projects are current students working on?
- how are grad students supported financially?

Thanks for the reply Choppy. You're right I almost forgot that an interview is a two-way street. I will definitely think more about what I personally want to ask them.

Related to What are common questions asked during a Medical Physics interview?

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a branch of physics that deals with the application of physics concepts, theories, and techniques to the field of medicine. It involves the use of physics principles to diagnose and treat diseases, as well as improve the safety and effectiveness of medical procedures.

2. What is the role of a Medical Physicist?

A Medical Physicist is responsible for ensuring the safe and accurate use of radiation in medical procedures. They work closely with healthcare professionals to develop and implement treatment plans, calculate radiation doses, and maintain proper equipment and safety protocols.

3. What qualifications are needed to become a Medical Physicist?

To become a Medical Physicist, one must have a strong background in physics, typically with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in the field. They must also complete a residency program in Medical Physics and pass a certification exam to become board-certified.

4. What are the main areas of specialization in Medical Physics?

The main areas of specialization in Medical Physics are diagnostic imaging, radiation therapy, and nuclear medicine. Within these areas, there are further sub-specializations such as MRI, CT, and PET imaging, as well as brachytherapy and external beam therapy in radiation therapy.

5. What advancements are being made in the field of Medical Physics?

Advancements in Medical Physics include the development of new imaging techniques and technologies, such as proton therapy and molecular imaging, as well as improvements in patient safety and treatment accuracy through the use of computer-based treatment planning and advanced quality assurance methods.