Trip to Seoul with my dad, visiting my birthplace

  • Thread starter Thread starter sylas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Greetings Roots
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
9
I'm currently in Seoul, Korea. My last blog here warned I might be gone for a bit, but I have internet at my current accommodation, so here's a hi!

You can find out more about why I might be in Korea from my very first blog entry: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1316 . I've come home to the land of my birth -- despite being a thoroughbred WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant). It has been a wonderful visit so far, and shows all indications of continuing that way. It's a holiday, but more than a holiday, because I am with my Dad who has been invited back and is guest of honour at all kinds of church groups, since he was a missionary here many years ago. I kind of trail along, carry bags, smile and nod when Dad speaks quite competent conversational Korean. Off to Busan tomorrow, where I was born.

And to make you all jealous; here's a photo. I love scholarship of all kinds, and we met this "YangBan" at a folk village. He is the genuine article; a real old school Korean gentleman and scholar of aristocratic lineage and high standing, generously giving time to share some of his knowledge at the village, where a home of his family ancestors is one of those restored (the backdrop). I am in the red T-shirt, with the YangBan on the left and my father on the right.

K5220074-496x372-WithKoreanGentlemanOfLeadingFamilyAtFolkVillage.JPG


Cheers -- 서형일 -- who is not likely to be posting all that much for another month or so.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sylas said:
I'm currently in Seoul, Korea. My last blog here warned I might be gone for a bit, but I have internet at my current accommodation, so here's a hi!

You can find out more about why I might be in Korea from my very first blog entry: https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1316 . I've come home to the land of my birth -- despite being a thoroughbred WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant). It has been a wonderful visit so far, and shows all indications of continuing that way. It's a holiday, but more than a holiday, because I am with my Dad who has been invited back and is guest of honour at all kinds of church groups, since he was a missionary here many years ago. I kind of trail along, carry bags, smile and nod when Dad speaks quite competent conversational Korean. Off to Busan tomorrow, where I was born.

And to make you all jealous; here's a photo. I love scholarship of all kinds, and we met this "YangBan" at a folk village. He is the genuine article; a real old school Korean gentleman and scholar of aristocratic lineage and high standing, generously giving time to share some of his knowledge at the village, where a home of his family ancestors is one of those restored (the backdrop). I am in the red T-shirt, with the YangBan on the left and my father on the right.

View attachment 25940

Cheers -- 서형일 -- who is not likely to be posting all that much for another month or so.


hey Sylas,

Enjoy your trip , man. And share your experiences with us when you come back !
 
Last edited by a moderator: