Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are postulates and what are derived?

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    I have now understood special Relativity and now going to study quantum mechanics. But I am having hard time to understand the proofs of different phenomenas like barrier tunneling. I am also not understanding the wave function and the de-Broglie waves.
    So please anyone here could list me what are the basic postulates one has to assume in order to read-on quantum mechanics.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    You'll probably struggle to understand either the wave function or de broglie waves if you just know the postulates of quantum mechanics. It sounds like you really need a proper textbook, or at the very least a decent set of lecture notes. There's billions of discussions of QM textbooks in the academic guidance/book discussion forum.

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    It looks to me that wikipedia is more rigorous here
    Postulates of quantum mechanics
    To that we only need to add the dynamics. This can be defined via a Hamiltonian, a Lagrangian, (if the system has a familiar classical counterpart) the correspondance rule (replace the Poisson bracket by a(n anti)commutator), or even directly by a dispersion rule or wave equation such as the Shrodinger equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook