What are some good math periodicals that are easily readable by a wide audience?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter E01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
E01
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hey, I was just wondering what good math periodicals there are out there. I was looking for something that is readable by a wide audience. I've only taken courses in topology, abstract algebra, and real analysis at the undergraduate level. Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
E01 said:
Hey, I was just wondering what good math periodicals there are out there. I was looking for something that is readable by a wide audience. I've only taken courses in topology, abstract algebra, and real analysis at the undergraduate level. Any suggestions?

Hello E01,

They are not exactly periodicals but the various issues of "What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences" are close to periodicals and they contain excellent articles of interest to anyone with an interest in mathematics and an undergraduate background in mathematics ...

... ... for example ...

What's Happening in the Mathematical Sciences, Volume 9 (What's Happening in the Mathermatical Sciences): Dana Mackenzie: 9780821887394: Amazon.com: Books

Peter
 
Hi E01,

I think you would enjoy the Mathematics Magazine and the College Math Journal. These are published by the Mathematical Association of America (visit Homepage | Mathematical Association of America). The level of material is generally at the advanced undergraduate level. Both contain problems (which you may attempt to solve for publication) and solutions to previous problems.
 
E01 said:
Hey, I was just wondering what good math periodicals there are out there. I was looking for something that is readable by a wide audience. I've only taken courses in topology, abstract algebra, and real analysis at the undergraduate level. Any suggestions?

Hi E01, :)

Here are some quite nice math periodicals that I used to read. And they are quite easily readable without a lot of math background.

https://plus.maths.org/content/

Mathematical Spectrum | A Magazine for Students and Teachers of Mathematics

I think you have to buy the spectrum magazine as the articles are not publicly available on the internet. A little more in-depth math can be found in the Rose-Hulman undergraduate journal.

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/mathjournal/

Although I used to read a very nice Canadian undergraduate (or perhaps high school) math journal I cannot remember it's name and can't seem to to find it now. Will post it as soon as I find it. :)