What Are the Best Career Options and Schools for a Physics Degree?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wmrunner24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
wmrunner24
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
So, I'm in my first physics class this year, and I find it interesting and challenging, and it seems like it would make a very satisfying career choice. So, I was wondering what some interesting career choices in physics were? I mean, there's some obvious ones, but...I'd really like to consider all options. Also, what degree would any of these careers require and what are some good schools for them?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty new to these forums but from what I've read, most physics majors requires you to have some type of computer language background to get a job in the private sector. I'm assuming it's mainly for people who only have a BS. If you get a PHD, that's probably a little different.
 
Last edited:
wmrunner24 said:
So, I'm in my first physics class this year, and I find it interesting and challenging, and it seems like it would make a very satisfying career choice. So, I was wondering what some interesting career choices in physics were? I mean, there's some obvious ones, but...I'd really like to consider all options. Also, what degree would any of these careers require and what are some good schools for them?

Are you talking about high school physics? If so, many of the most related jobs fall under the heading of "engineering." I recommend taking a look at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm for a very brief overview of the main types of engineering, although there is a lot more you can do with an engineering degree than what is listed on that site.

This is in addition, of course, to the careers available to physics degree holders and other related fields.
 
Last edited by a moderator: