What Are the Best Career Options for Physics Majors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sjm757
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Career Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Sjm757
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
I've had a love of physics since the 4th grade, and still do. The job prospects aren't too exciting for just a physics degree, so I was wondering what i could do? I was planning on getting my Bachelors in Physics, and then either going into medical school for medical physics(not really into medical physics quiet so much), or going into graduate school for mechanical engineering or physics. What would be the best careers for me to look into? I could teach, but I'd like to do that as a side job.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I live near the Norfolk shipyard and various other firms and know a couple people that are retired military who work for a good pay doing a job that requires a masters in physics, I'm just wondering which would be better to do, I could always minor in engineering to have a better prospect.
 
Major in engineering for a better prospect. If you want good pay, like really good, Computer Software Engineering or Chemical Engineering pay generally the most. But if you like physics and have a leaning toward mechanical engineering, then Mechanical Engineering should be your field of choice (I bet the shipyard has lots of them).
 
If you're interested in medical physics you have to go to grad school for medical physics, not medical school.