What Are the Best REU Opportunities for Graduating Physics Seniors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bluechic92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reu
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
bluechic92
Messages
175
Reaction score
15
Hi everyone,
I will be graduating this spring with a bachelors in physics. I love research and I do have research experience and I have applied for graduate school in physics. Now I am just waiting around. However, I am trying to find work during the summer and I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs that accept graduating seniors for REU.

The deadlines passed for the programs I found :/... for ** Future students DOE SULI accept graduating seniors!**

I was also thinking of contacting a faculty member I want to work with around the area I live in so that they don't have to fund me. I truly just want to learn and get more experience, it's not really about the money. Do you think it is a good idea as well?

I applied for theory because my research background in physics is all in theoretical physics and I LOVE it. However, I am realizing that the chances of me getting into grad school is small for that. I was unsuccessful in getting an REU for experimental but I do want to try it and I wished I had sooner =(. So I am mainly looking for experimental research.

Any help or comment is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's almost impossible for a professor to take on a non-student for free. The university will usually step in, citing labor laws.
 
Thank you for the reply! What if I call it volunteering? However, I do see your point. I might email and ask around anyways though because it would be great to have more research experience. If I am unsuccessful in getting admitted to graduate school the first time, I can only improve my app with Gre/physics gre scores and research experience.