What are the job prospects for PhDs in astrophysics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Physics-UG
Messages
45
Reaction score
5
I was wondering if anyone (preferably Canada, but US would suffice) knew what job prospects were like for those with a PhD in astrophysics? I did some searching around on google, and some places say it's not bad, some say you may not find something in your field but can still find work due to the fact that you have a PhD in physics. Outside of that, in terms of what was posted for jobs the only thing I really found was for a research assistant, and not a professor itself.

I'd like to either go into academia or working with something like CITA. If anyone knows anything and would be willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything I've heard says that those with a PhD in astrophysics have an extremely low unemployment rate. It's true, you have to work hard to get a job in academia and there's always the possibility you may not get one, but with the skills and information you learn through an astrophysics PhD you shouldn't have too much trouble pursuing a fulfilling job outside of academia if things don't work out. That's what everyone's told me, including one of my professors.
 
The AAS job roster at this site has a good listing of available job openings. It will give you a feeling for what is out there.