Why is bromine used as a flame-retardant instead of for water purification?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chewchun
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
chewchun
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



1:Over half a million tonnes of bromine are manufactured annually and are mainly used for making other compounds. One important use is for agricultural chemicals.
What is another important use for bromine?
a)antiseptic agents
b)bleaches for textiles and the paper industry
c)flame-retardants and fire extinguisher
d)water purification

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I chose D but answer i got from my teacher is C.
I went to read up on the internet and the use of bromine for water treatment seems to be a alternative to chlorine...
And so,I assumed bromine to behave like chlorine...
So if C is the answer,what is the condition for a substance to be used as fire extinguisher?And why isn't D an good answer ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just because bromine is a potential replacement for chlorine in water treatment doesn't mean it is used for that purpose - as far as I know the only widely used systems are based on Cl2 and O3.