What are the most lucrative college degrees for engineers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
SW VandeCarr
Messages
2,199
Reaction score
77
A useful article on the Yahoo homepage today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/107402/most-lucrative-college-degrees.html?mod=edu-collegeprep
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SW VandeCarr said:
A useful article on the Yahoo homepage today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/107402/most-lucrative-college-degrees.html?mod=edu-collegeprep
Heh, heh - I was planning to post about that too.
The top 15 highest-earning college degrees all have one thing in common -- math skills. That's according to a recent survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers, which tracks college graduates' job offers.

"Math is at the crux of who gets paid," said Ed Koc, director of research at NACE. "If you have those skills, you are an extremely valuable asset. We don't generate enough people like that in this country."

This year Rochester Institute of Technology hosted recruiters from defense-industry firms like Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, as well as other big companies like Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson.

"The tech fields are what's driving salaries and offers, and the top students are faring quite well," said Emanuel Contomanolis, who runs RIT's career center.
. . . .
Study hard and do well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Heh, heh - I was planning to post about that too.
Study hard and do well!

I'm old enough to remember when engineers couldn't find jobs.
 
That makes me feel so much better about my math skills. =) I used to just think I was geeky.
 
I notice physicist isn't on that list. Luckily I'm specialized in computational so I could probably slide in as CS if I wanted to.
 
Wow. That makes me happy. Woo7 for CS!

Cool beans, maverick_startstrider. Are you still in school? I'm also a CS/Physics guy. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of courses / plan of study are you doing? I'm double-majoring, and it's just about the most fun thing in the world.