What are the oxidizing and reducing agents in this redox reaction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
sami23
Messages
69
Reaction score
1
H2SO4 (aq) + 2HI (aq) --> SO2 (g) + I2 (s) + 2H2O (l)

Indicate the oxidizing and reducing agents.
-----------------------------------------------------
I started by assigning oxidation numbers to all the atoms:
H=+1
O=-2
S=+6 to +4
I=-2 to 0

I think H2SO4 is the reducing agent and 2HI is the oxidizing agent. Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
SO4 oxidizes HI to I2. But what is the reducing agent and are my oxidation numbers for the atoms correct?
 
Sulfur gained electrons, and is being oxidized. thus, your reducing agent is H2SO4. I Lost electrons, and thus HI is the oxidizing agent.

this is assuming your oxidation numbers are correct which if i am not mistaken your'e "I" is -1? "H 1+" "I -1" "HI 0"
 
Grogerian said:
Sulfur gained electrons, and is being oxidized.

OIL - oxidation is loss

I Lost electrons, and thus HI is the oxidizing agent.

RIG - reduction is gain.

this is assuming your oxidation numbers are correct which if i am not mistaken your'e "I" is -1? "H 1+" "I -1" "HI 0"

You can't assign ON to molecule, only to atoms, thus HI doesn't have ON, just (neutral) charge.

sami23 said:
I=-2 to 0

For that you will need H2+. No such animal.