What Are the Products of Benzonitrile with CH3CH2CH2Cl and CH3COCl Using AlCl3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarcL
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MarcL
Messages
170
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Draw the products formed when benzonitrile ( C6H5CN) is treated with each reagent
D. CH3CH2CH2Cl, AlCl3
E. CH3COCl, AlCl3

Homework Equations



CN is meta director because N pulls the electron density, leaving the carbon atom more positively charged, therefore leading to resonance structure that isn't stabled if ortho / para.

The Attempt at a Solution



Well I thought we could do the reaction for D if we rearranged the alkyl halide to put the carbocation on a ( at least) 2ndare carbon.

for E I am not too sure why the reaction doesn't occur :/
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct for the first one, although I was taught that Friedel-Crafts alkylations are unreactive to deactivated benzenes, as well as poorly reactive to an alkyl chain longer than 2 carbons.

For the second one, Friedel-Crafts acylations are nonreactive to deactivated benzenes.