What are the stunning sights waiting for you in Oslo and Hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter arildno
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
10,165
Reaction score
138
Okay, not from THAT Hell, but the Norwegian village Hell.
These are not my photos, but I liked them very much.

The first picture is of Oslo's main street, ending at the Royal Palace:

http://www.myphotographs.net/norway/picture1.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
radou said:
Wow, the Viking Museum rules! :smile:

Glad you liked it. Here is a bit of Vikingish architecture, the Borgund stave church:

http://folk.uio.no/nilsroar/laerdal/borgund.jpg

This church was built some time before 1200 (the age of the timber has been dated to the winter 1180-81), and was in active use as the community church for almost 700 years.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Glad you liked it. Here is a bit of Vikingish architecture, the Borgund stave church:

http://folk.uio.no/nilsroar/laerdal/borgund.jpg

This church was built some time before 1200 (the age of the timber has been dated to the winter 1180-81), and was in active use as the community church for almost 700 years.

Incredible! I love the pics.

You know, in the US we don't have a long history. Obviously the native Americans go way back, but they didn't leave us the rich history of documents and architecture, or the sense of connection with the past that you all get.

Nearly made a trip to Norway some years ago. Unfortunately, at the last minute I was bumped by a manager who wanted to go. I'm not Norwegian, but I am part Swedish and part Finnish. I would love to see that part of the world.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
radou said:
:bugeye: The church looks amazing.

Thats putting it incredibly mildly.

WOW. :bugeye:
 
http://www.hell2u.com/index.htm" Beautiful! And you have a city named Hell too! The city of Hell Michigan, is just a little road side attraction. But there is a cute eatery there, called the Dam site Inn. And I do have a tee shirt, that says, Don't mess with me, I've been to Hell.:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Incredible! I love the pics.

You know, in the US we don't have a long history. Obviously the native Americans go way back, but they didn't leave us the rich history of documents and architecture, or the sense of connection with the past that you all get.

Nearly made a trip to Norway some years ago. Unfortunately, at the last minute I was bumped by a manager who wanted to go. I'm not Norwegian, but I am part Swedish and part Finnish. I would love to see that part of the world.

If you are into palaces, fortresses and castles, then Sweden&Denmark has a lot more to offer than Norway.

If you are interested in deep, never-ending woods dotted with lakes (ideal for camping), then Finland is a good choice.

If you want the best sum total, visit Norway. :smile: