What Are Universal Forces Made Of?

In summary: For example, the laws of physics seem to be the same in all universes that have been observed. If the laws of physics were different in different universes, then the forces that governed those universes would be different as well. Furthermore, if the forces were made of something physical, we would be able to observe and measure those physical forces. However, we cannot. This suggests that the forces are not made of physical matter. Some people suggest the forces are part of the 'computer program' we live in, but that isn't really science.
robproctor83
What are the universal forces made of? From what I understand, these forces are simply invisible and are yet physical at the same time, how can that be? How can something that has a physical force be made of... nothing? Gravity for example is speculated to be made of gravitons, but it is (at this time) impossible to determine rather gravitons are even real... It is only a theory.

I'm sure this has been asked over and over, and I have read quite a bit of reports on what gravity and electromagnetism is and made of, but it seems rather unsettling. I understand we can measure the forces, can harness their potential, but are unable to determine what they consist of. Is it truly possible that these forces are simply made of nothing but are in fact the result of natures physical attraction to itself?

Also, why wouldn't time be considered one of the universal forces?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
robproctor83 said:
What are the universal forces made of? From what I understand, these forces are simply invisible and are yet physical at the same time, how can that be? How can something that has a physical force be made of... nothing? Gravity for example is speculated to be made of gravitons, but it is (at this time) impossible to determine rather gravitons are even real... It is only a theory.

I'm sure this has been asked over and over, and I have read quite a bit of reports on what gravity and electromagnetism is and made of, but it seems rather unsettling. I understand we can measure the forces, can harness their potential, but are unable to determine what they consist of. Is it truly possible that these forces are simply made of nothing but are in fact the result of natures physical attraction to itself?

Strictly speaking everything you know of science is 'only a theory' to be a little pedantic. Gravitation, Electromagnetism, Newton's Laws of Motion, all of them, a 'theory' in Scietific Terminology is different too how it would be used by the layperson.

They don't 'consist' of anything as such, they are carried by gauge bosons (aka a force carrying particle). The graviton is the speculated gauge boson for gravitation. The strong force has gluons, electromagnetism is carried by (virtual) photons and the weak nuclear force is carried by Zo, W+ and W- bosons. Here's the wikipedia article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_boson" which would be a decent enough place to start.

Time cannot be considered a force, because it is not one, it is a component of space-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people suggest the forces are part of the 'computer program' we live in, but that isn't really science.

Nevertheless, there is much circumstantial evidence to suggest that it is indeed the case.

Chimps said:
Some people suggest the forces are part of the 'computer program' we live in, but that isn't really science.

Nevertheless, there is much circumstantial evidence to suggest that it is indeed the case.

What circumstantial evidence would that be? :confused:

welcome to pf!

hi rob! welcome to pf! :smile:
robproctor83 said:
What are the universal forces made of? …
How can something that has a physical force be made of... nothing?

i am shocked at your bigotry towards forces :eek:

just because forces aren't made out of the same stuff that you are, you dismiss them as being made of nothing

what about the electrons and quarks inside you? what are they made of?

forces are no more made of nothing than electrons are (and forces have a lot more structure than electrons do)

was not matter created out of forces?

in the beginning, all forces were created equal :approve:

can you say the same about matter? :wink:

may the force be with you! :smile:

My knee jerk reaction is 'bosons' - the particle that mediates all fundamental forces of nature. There is, of course, no universal boson - flavor for each force. Historically, there are four fundamental forces: nuclear strong, nuclear weak, electromagnetism and gravity. Gravity is the oddball because its boson remains elusive [and may turn out to be something other than a boson]. Other candidate forces include dark energy, which remains a work in progress, and the Higgs boson that imparts the property of mass to matter. The claim that time is a fundamental force rises and ebbs like the bow of a boat [mediated by the hypothetical 'chronon' boson], but, this idea has never really gotten legs. Time is probably more in the realm of phenomenology than physics. I rather like the description that 'time is what prevents everything from happening all at once'. That would make for a very brief and boring existence.

robproctor83 said:

Time is a dimension. Why wouldn't we consider width to be a force? Or height?

Chimps said:

I'll give you some money if you can show some evidence for this. I think that's fair.

Could it be possible that gravity is the attraction between atoms?

jt3213 said:
Could it be possible that gravity is the attraction between atoms?

Among other attractions/repulsions. Yes.

From a GR viewpoint gravity is merely the warping of spacetime. In short, objects move the way they do in the presence of dense matter such as planets, stars, and black holes because it's the only way in which the warped spacetime allows them to move. Of course the lack of causality is a major flaw in that concept since no compelling reason for an attraction force toward the dense matter is proposed.

Last edited:
Without gravity, we would effectively reside in a Milne universe - very boring. Gravity is the allergic reaction empty space exhibits in the presence of matter.

1. What are universal forces?

Universal forces, also known as fundamental forces, are the four basic interactions that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a macroscopic and microscopic scale. These forces are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How are universal forces created?

The origin of universal forces is still a matter of scientific research and debate. Some theories propose that these forces emerged during the Big Bang, while others suggest they are a fundamental property of the universe.

3. Are universal forces made of particles?

No, universal forces are not made of particles. They are interactions between particles, and they are transmitted through particles known as gauge bosons. For example, electromagnetism is transmitted through photons, while the strong nuclear force is transmitted through gluons.

4. Can universal forces be explained by a single theory?

Currently, there is no single theory that can fully explain all universal forces. The Standard Model of particle physics can explain three of the four forces (except for gravity), but it has limitations and does not integrate with the theory of general relativity, which explains gravity.

5. How do universal forces affect our daily lives?

Universal forces play a crucial role in our daily lives. Gravity keeps us grounded on the Earth, electromagnetism allows for electricity and technology, and the strong nuclear force holds atomic nuclei together. The weak nuclear force is responsible for radioactive decay, which is used in medical treatments and power generation.