1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What area of EE would this fall under?

  1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    I'm in my second year of EE at my university right now, and I'm going to have to pick what I want to specialize in. That means I should now have some sort of idea of what I actually want to do once I graduate.

    The class that I've enjoyed the most thus far has got to be one called Digital System Design where we essentially learn how to program an FPGA using VHDL. The semester's project was to create a Morse code generator/receiver.

    Compared to everything else I've done so far, this is the one area that's really been able to grab my attention. Also, I seem to be having a far easier time figuring things out than the rest of my classmates.

    The thing is that this course is obviously at a very basic level. If I were to continue taking courses in this area, what sort of career can I eventually expect? Exactly what kind of jobs actually use things like this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2
    Basically, you'd be going down the path of a computer engineer. You'd be specializing in digital integrated circuits, which means lots of courses on device physics (semi-conductors), electronics, switching systems, and the like. Related jobs are in hardware design (video cards, sound cards, processors), embedded systems, and the like.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook