What caused me to quit Wyzant tutoring?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutoring
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience with Wyzant Tutoring, the largest online service for setting up tutoring appointments. The speaker shares that they were a member for 10 years and saw over 200 students, making over $12,000. However, as the service grew and more tutors joined, it became harder to get requests. The speaker also expresses their opinion that the tutoring industry operates on the belief that the more expensive a tutor is, the better they are. They also mention that MHB is a better source for help, but can have longer wait times. The speaker suggests adding more resources for preparing for entry assessment tests on MHB. They also mention that the tutoring market is becoming oversaturated and that some tutors
karush
Gold Member
MHB
I believe that currently Wyzant Tutoring is the largest online service to set up a tutoring appointments for you

First I was a member for 10 years saw over 200 students almost on a weekly basis and got an overall 4.9 rating out of 5
so that was quite awsome I made over $12000

The experience of siting in Starbucks all day and seeing one student after another truly was my best academic experience and the best thing you can do when retired

However as the service grew and so many new tutors came on the request list grew very thin. And catching a fish was rare. And usually it was clear on the other side of the island. At my peak I saw 25 differenrt students every week. It was harder than the full time job I had just retired from.

These tutoring services operate on the myth that the more expensive someone is the better they are, Thus the healthy cut they take out of your bank deposit every month.
When I took math at a community college the tutoring I got was free and tutors were excellent just getting a little over min wage and many tutors just did it as a curtesy

Next it became kinda obvious That when a new contacts came in they would platform these people to their most expensive tutors first then later to the cheep ones. The actual rating was secondary. Well that comparison was becoming more and more the line in the sand and finally I stepped over.

Finally I have to be grateful for the experience and I can't accuse wyzant of any wrong doing. But my season with it has ended.

Well, MHB is by far a way better source to get help, the only draw back is the wait sometimes. but with a an instant now culture that dominates most choices

So my vent for the day Mahalo

Karash

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi karush!

Nice to see you again. Thank you for sharing your experience with this popular tutoring company. It's been a while since I was in school, but I think that 1-on-1 dedicated tutoring has a lot of benefits. You get realtime help and a lot of focus from the tutor. So for more complicated topics or time sensitive help such as a week before a major exam, there are some great things about this route over free internet sites. There are some downsides too I think. It can be expensive to pay for tutoring, you need a high quality person to work with that understands your learning style, and you only get one point of view. Online you can get help for free and have multiple people look at something.

Personally I like the idea of using both at times in a complementary way. Was there anything you experienced from a private tutor that you think could be added to MHB? Anything else come to mind?

Hope to continue seeing you! Did you notice the new look and forum software?

well, most students I saw were doing pretty well overall
but one thing alwsys got sidelined too much

and that was preparing for entry assessment tests
AP calculus, ASVAB, GRE, ACT, thr main ones
I think these should be posted more on POTW or even their own category

well anyway

karush said:
well, most students I saw were doing pretty well overall
but one thing alwsys got sidelined too much

and that was preparing for entry assessment tests
AP calculus, ASVAB, GRE, ACT, thr main ones
I think these should be posted more on POTW or even their own category

well anyway

I offered to post test questions to give visitors practice and was quickly told not to.

thats interesting?

that might depend on how you post them

I think MHB wants to orient itself to just classroom students with homework problems
altho I wonder how the online schools now are going to work.

also, I do think these tutoring online sevices are a good launch pad for anyone to get into tutoring
but for after a while I just got plenty of appointments just from referrals n

however too the reality is that so many want to tutor math now that market for it is overloaded...
I have noticed a lot female tutors dress a little daring and have all male students!

Last edited:
karush said:
thats interesting?

that might depend on how you post them

I think MHB wants to orient itself to just classroom students with homework problems
altho I wonder how the online schools now are going to work.

also, I do think these tutoring online sevices are a good launch pad for anyone to get into tutoring
but for after a while I just got plenty of appointments just from referrals n

however too the reality is that so many want to tutor math now that market for it is overloaded...
I have noticed a lot female tutors dress a little daring and have all male students!

A few years ago, I did in-home private math tutoring for grades 1-5. I met most of my students by simply distributing math tutor flyers in the local area. Like you said, tutors are a dime a dozen.

Too many tutors out in the market making a name for themselves. Just like you said, physicality matters in this superficial world we live in. Yes, I joined this site to review math learned long ago but mainly precalculus and above. I can do elementary school math on my own. In fact, I can do math on my own for grades 1 to 8.

Anyway, I became very disillusioned with parents always seeking for an excuse not to pay me on time, every time. SORRY MR. (MY NAME). CAN WE PAY YOU NEXT WEEK? I was a private in-home math tutor for grades 1-5 for about 3 or 4 years.

Another problem concerned traveling from borough to borough on the subway. Parents did not take my travel time into consideration. Students did not complete assignments prepared to enhance their comprehension. A total disaster. So, I quit!
My rate was 20 dollars an hour, which was a joke even then.

karush said:
I believe that currently Wyzant Tutoring is the largest online service to set up a tutoring appointments for you

First I was a member for 10 years saw over 200 students almost on a weekly basis and got an overall 4.9 rating out of 5
so that was quite awsome I made over $12000

The experience of siting in Starbucks all day and seeing one student after another truly was my best academic experience and the best thing you can do when retired

However as the service grew and so many new tutors came on the request list grew very thin. And catching a fish was rare. And usually it was clear on the other side of the island. At my peak I saw 25 differenrt students every week. It was harder than the full time job I had just retired from.

These tutoring services operate on the myth that the more expensive someone is the better they are, Thus the healthy cut they take out of your bank deposit every month.
When I took math at a community college the tutoring I got was free and tutors were excellent just getting a little over min wage and many tutors just did it as a curtesy

Next it became kinda obvious That when a new contacts came in they would platform these people to their most expensive tutors first then later to the cheep ones. The actual rating was secondary. Well that comparison was becoming more and more the line in the sand and finally I stepped over.

Finally I have to be grateful for the experience and I can't accuse wyzant of any wrong doing. But my season with it has ended.

Well, MHB is by far a way better source to get help, the only draw back is the wait sometimes. but with a an instant now culture that dominates most choices

So my vent for the day Mahalo

Karash

What are the requirements to be a tutor for Wyzant? I heard there is an entrance test to pass. Is this true? Just curious...

xyz_1965 said:
Students did not complete assignments prepared to enhance their comprehension. A total disaster.

Yes, I have a student that ignores such questions. Very frustrating.

xyz_1965 said:
A few years ago, I did in-home private math tutoring for grades 1-5. I met most of my students by simply distributing math tutor flyers in the local area. Like you said, tutors are a dime a dozen.

Too many tutors out in the market making a name for themselves. Just like you said, physicality matters in this superficial world we live in. Yes, I joined this site to review math learned long ago but mainly precalculus and above. I can do elementary school math on my own. In fact, I can do math on my own for grades 1 to 8.

Anyway, I became very disillusioned with parents always seeking for an excuse not to pay me on time, every time. SORRY MR. (MY NAME). CAN WE PAY YOU NEXT WEEK? I was a private in-home math tutor for grades 1-5 for about 3 or 4 years.

Another problem concerned traveling from borough to borough on the subway. Parents did not take my travel time into consideration. Students did not complete assignments prepared to enhance their comprehension. A total disaster. So, I quit!
My rate was 20 dollars an hour, which was a joke even then.

Well yes I think your experience is a common one, of course myself I am retired so payments. or no payments was not too much of a concern for me. but the amount of time I spent on the bus was over 30 hours a week {and the bus ride here is very jarring and overcrowded}.

I was a product of being tutored in math myself but it was a free walk in learning center at a community college and I got A's in class because of it. And my heavy posting on MHB has kept me in math and proved useful in helping students at times.

I think the grade level you tutored in was a particular hard one that age group still has little concept of reality. I admire people who venture to help that age group I would be terrible at it.

Well I am going to try something new here in september...I live next to a huge army base everywhere you go here is camouflage and many of them take online math classes and want help ... I have done a few ... it was a nice experience ... and they paid good...

20200515_150039.jpg

xyz_1965 said:
What are the requirements to be a tutor for Wyzant? I heard there is an entrance test to pass. Is this true? Just curious...

the entrance tests are actually very easy and multiple choice
When I took the their calculus test I noticed the problems came right out of my textbook and I had already done them
Most tests are about 10 min to do... remember you become another source of income to them so the door to get in is easy.

However the idea is no mater how well you do on the entry tests
students are going to show up with concepts and problems you never heard of.

Having straight A's in math classes is nice but you still barely know anything

But I think overall Wyzant is probably the most fair and helpful to its members
Its basically to get you started... after a while you really don't need them

I really admire the quality and help you get here at MHB if you really want to tutor students in your area
spend a year here and try solving as many incoming posts as you can its parallel to in person tutoring

karush said:
the entrance tests are actually very easy and multiple choice
When I took the their calculus test I noticed the problems came right out of my textbook and I had already done them
Most tests are about 10 min to do... remember you become another source of income to them so the door to get in is easy.

However the idea is no mater how well you do on the entry tests
students are going to show up with concepts and problems you never heard of.

Having straight A's in math classes is nice but you still barely know anything

But I think overall Wyzant is probably the most fair and helpful to its members
Its basically to get you started... after a while you really don't need them

I really admire the quality and help you get here at MHB if you really want to tutor students in your area
spend a year here and try solving as many incoming posts as you can its parallel to in person tutoring

Math questions here are beyond 8th grade. I can only tutor grades 1-8 and maybe grades 9 and 10. I joined MHB to review material learned long ago not for the purpose of tutoring.

mhb certainly helped me with tutoring

1. What factors led to your decision to quit tutoring on Wyzant?

There were a few factors that contributed to my decision to quit tutoring on Wyzant. First, I found that the platform was becoming increasingly competitive and it was difficult to stand out among other tutors. Second, the commission fees charged by Wyzant were quite high, making it difficult for me to earn a reasonable income. Lastly, I found that the administrative tasks required by Wyzant, such as scheduling and payment, were taking up too much of my time.

2. Did you have any negative experiences with students or the Wyzant platform?

No, I did not have any negative experiences with students or the Wyzant platform. In fact, I had many positive experiences with students and enjoyed helping them achieve their academic goals. However, the administrative tasks and high fees were the main reasons for my decision to quit.

3. Did you feel supported by Wyzant as a tutor?

In general, I did feel supported by Wyzant as a tutor. They provided resources and training to help me improve my tutoring skills, and their customer service was always helpful. However, as mentioned before, the high commission fees and administrative tasks were a source of frustration for me.

4. Are there any changes or improvements that could have kept you from quitting Wyzant?

There are a few changes or improvements that could have potentially kept me from quitting Wyzant. Lowering the commission fees and streamlining the administrative tasks would have made it easier for me to continue tutoring on the platform. Additionally, providing more opportunities for tutors to market themselves and stand out among others could have helped me attract more students.

5. Would you consider returning to Wyzant in the future?

At this time, I do not have any plans to return to Wyzant as a tutor. However, if there were significant changes to the platform that addressed the issues I had with it, I would definitely consider returning. I enjoyed tutoring and helping students, but the platform just wasn't the right fit for me at this time.