What do pro photographers notice: men v. women

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 247 views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,696
Reaction score
9,098
These Facebook comments truly flummoxed me.

1790351686243.webp


Even after the explanation, I am having to wrap my head around the aesthetic weight that women apparently place on hairbands.

If I had to guess, (and I am totally guessing), they see hairbands as akin to an item of clothing in that, if it is out of place, they feel disheveled or unkempt.

It's so ingrained that they take it for granted, feeling no need to explain further without prompting (the yellow highlighted comment).

Am I out-of-the-loop and dinosaur-y?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've likely never had a daughter - or if you have, you never tried to buy anything for her that she would wear.
In the default mundane cases, where there is no dress code or other explicit expectations, and with the most typical adults, men will dress for utility and women will dress for looks.
Of course, employing a professional photographer isn't really a mundane case. Generally, women would have fluent expectations about what those photos should show. When the kids were little, it was my wife that dictated the standards and dress code for family Christmas photos. I focused on background, lighting, etc.

When my daughter was adolescent, I invited her on some of the daily walks I take. In sunlight, I walk with a wide-brimmed straw hat - for shade and skin protection. I have more than one, so I offered her that same style hat. Nope, didn't work. Ultimately a white wide-brimmed paper hat was her choice (although only for a week or two). It was fashionable, but paper?
 
Last edited:
.Scott said:
You've likely never had a daughter - or if you have, you never tried to buy anything for her that she would wear.
In the default mundane cases, where there is no dress code or other explicit expectations, and with the most typical adults, men will dress for utility and women will dress for looks.
Of course, employing a professional photographer isn't really a mundane case. Generally, women would have fluent expectations about what those photos should show. When the kids were little, it was my wife that dictated the standards and dress code for family Christmas photos. I focused on background, lighting, etc.

When my daughter was adolescent, I invited her on some of the daily walks I take. In sunlight, I walk with a wide-brimmed straw hat - for shade and skin protection. I have more than one, so I offered her that same style hat. Nope, didn't work. Ultimately a white wide-brimmed paper hat was her choice (although only for a week or two). It was fashionable, but paper?
I get fashion and clothes. I had no idea a mere elastic band on the wrist warranted the same weight aesthetic-wise as it applies to their presentation. I did not know that a hair band on the wrist was in an "out-of-place" state.


(Aside: it's interesting how many comments assumed a group portrait scenario, as opposed to any other type of photography. My answer was simply going to be "composition").
 
DaveC426913 said:
I did not know that a hair band on the wrist was in an "out-of-place" state.
Heavens to Betsy. The younger generation knows not how to look good and proper. Follow the rules.

Have a famous actress wear a hair band on the wrist and it will become fashionable in the fickle best form of flattery is imitation. Good for a week, month of tryout, but it won't last on its own.

One gets an ankle bracelet or tattoo and all the others need to do it.
Wrist tattoos of a bracelet I have seen.
The tattoo choker. Who ever got that? Weirdos and masochists. Except after the S&M cringe movie with the daughter of a famous actress Melanie Griffith married to a more famous actor named Don Johnson of Miami Vice, did some gals seek the experience.

Pink hair, one side of the head bald, all punky heavy boots, black attire.

Way back when, Much Music had guys dressed up grundgy beer stained teashirt and bluejeans accepting awards.
Maybe not for a photograph, but certainly good for out in public walking around.

But the hair tie on the wrist. An absolute pho pas.
Cuz for fashion, one has to deliberately and with thought dress down to be taken seriously.
And be prepared to take some for the team for the statement you are willing to make.

The hair tie thing on the wrist, as moms and daughters do it all the time I guess, is not art on its own. It shoes lack of detail which the ninnys will gladly point out.
Unless one ramps it up: two different socks, ..., as accessories - that would work.