What do you do when you're stuck for the answer?

• Thread starter Dadface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation suggests various methods for solving a crossword clue when the answer is on the tip of your tongue. These include walking and mumbling, using Google, looking over someone's shoulder, sleeping on it, and ignoring the problem until the subconscious figures it out. There is also mention of a website called Doogle, based on Father Ted, and a reference to the Magic Roundabout.
Dadface
You're stuck on a crossword clue or something and the answer is on the tip of your tongue but you just can't get it out?What do you do?
I find it helps to walk slowly up and down with a slight rocking motion and with the hands held tightly behind the back whilst mumbling like an idiot. Try it out but be discrete in the exam hall. :confused:
Does anybody have another method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google often works for me.

Dadface said:
You're stuck on a crossword clue or something and the answer is on the tip of your tongue but you just can't get it out?What do you do?
I find it helps to walk slowly up and down with a slight rocking motion and with the hands held tightly behind the back whilst mumbling like an idiot. Try it out but be discrete in the exam hall. :confused:
Does anybody have another method?
If possible, I look over the shoulder of the student next to me. Sometimes I just sleep on it. In the morning I'm sure to see the light of day.

Redbelly98 said:
Google often works for me.

I prefer http://doogle.com" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Focus said:
I prefer http://doogle.com" .

Do you mean doogle in the magic roundabout?My favourite programme but I couldn't stand Zebedee that little nasty person on a spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dadface said:
Do you mean doogle in the magic roundabout?My favourite programme but I couldn't stand Zebedee that little nasty person on a spring.

Huh? No its Irish Google (based on Father Ted, hence the name Doogle).

I just ignore the problem, and my subconscious will usually figure it out for me.

Thanks to google, I would say that this problem is only of historical interest :)

1. How do you approach a problem when you don't know the answer?

As a scientist, I follow a systematic approach to problem-solving. First, I thoroughly research the problem and gather all the relevant information. Then, I brainstorm potential solutions and evaluate each one based on scientific principles. If needed, I consult with colleagues or conduct experiments to gather more data. Finally, I analyze the results and choose the most logical and evidence-based solution.

2. What resources do you use when you're stuck for the answer?

There are a variety of resources that I use when I'm stuck for the answer. These include scientific literature, databases, online forums, and consulting with other experts in the field. I also rely on my own experience and knowledge gained through previous research and experiments.

3. How do you deal with uncertainty or conflicting evidence?

Uncertainty and conflicting evidence are common in scientific research and can be challenging to navigate. In these situations, I carefully examine the evidence and evaluate its quality and reliability. I also consider alternative explanations and seek out additional data to support or refute the evidence. If needed, I may collaborate with other scientists to reach a consensus or conduct further experiments to clarify any uncertainties.

4. How do you handle setbacks or failed experiments?

Setbacks and failed experiments are an inevitable part of the scientific process. When faced with these challenges, I first assess the reasons for the failure and determine if any adjustments or improvements can be made to the experimental design. If the setback is due to uncontrollable factors, I may need to reevaluate the initial hypothesis and gather more data before proceeding. Ultimately, I use setbacks as an opportunity to learn and refine my research methods.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy and validity of your findings?

As a scientist, it is crucial to ensure the accuracy and validity of my findings. To achieve this, I follow rigorous scientific methods and protocols, maintain detailed records of my experiments, and use statistical analysis to evaluate the data. I also subject my research to peer review, where other experts in the field critically evaluate my findings and methodology. Additionally, I always strive to replicate my experiments to confirm the reliability and reproducibility of my results.