Is Giving Directly to the Needy or Through a Charity the Best Option?

• Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of giving money to beggars on the streets. Some people share their experiences with being approached by beggars and their reactions, while others share their thoughts on the moral implications of giving money to beggars. Some people mention specific instances where they have been approached by beggars and how they responded, while others share their personal policies on giving money to beggars. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and debates surrounding the act of giving money to beggars.
I will give $ to the person almost always( if I do not have any $ but I have some food then I give food) after all I have clothes on my back , people who love me, and a home to go too.

Physics news on Phys.org
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More than 25 percent of the homeless population in the United States are war veterans, although they represent only 11 percent of the civilian adult population, according to a report to be released Thursday. [continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/08/homeless.veterans/index.html

It's hard to know whether it is better to give aid directly to the needy or via an organised charity.

Giving directly is open to abuse both in distinguishing between the genuinely needy and the professional beggar and in how the recipient spends the donation - drink, substance abuse etc.

Giving via a recognised charity however also has it's pitfalls with much of the donated money being skimmed off in 'expenses'. eg

MADD's `exorbitant costs' anger charity's volunteers

Kevin Donovan
staff reporter

People who donate to Mothers Against Drunk Driving are told by the charity that most of the $12 million it raises annually is spent on good works — stopping drunk driving and helping families traumatized by fatal crashes.

But a Star investigation reveals most of the high-profile charity's money is spent on fundraising and administration, leaving only about 19 cents of each donor dollar for charitable works.
Perhaps gov't ran programs are a better option.