What does a spectrogram represent?

Hi,

I am wondering what does a spectrogram represent? I know that a spectrogram displays the amplitudes of specific frequencies, however, in the program Audacity, it plots a spectrogram of an entire sound (a few seconds). What does this spectrogram represent, and how is it different to at an individual time?

cheers.

Answers and Replies

Funny you bring Audacity up. Thanks to you I've just realised I installed it by mistake instead of Audacious.

You have two readouts, one is left speaker the other is right speaker.

That's your stereo.

Now, each peak represents a sound (if it was a simple drum beat each second you would have a single peak each second on the graph).

I believe that the higher the peak, the louder / stronger the sound is.

Here's the Wiki on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrogram

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Hi,

I am wondering what does a spectrogram represent? I know that a spectrogram displays the amplitudes of specific frequencies, however, in the program Audacity, it plots a spectrogram of an entire sound (a few seconds). What does this spectrogram represent, and how is it different to at an individual time?

cheers.
A spectrogram is basically the Fourier transform of a signal. For example, if you have a time-varying signal (like music), the spectrogram tells you the distribution of frequencies in the music.

There's a few subtleties to consider- a time-varying spectrogram means there is a lower limit on the frequency that can be represented (for example, a spectrogram that updates 30 times a second can't tell you anything about frequencies below about 60 Hz), and the spectrogram also 'bins' the frequencies like a histogram, but those are usually minor details.