What Does Cis^-1 (x) Mean and How is it Related to Cis(x)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
GreenPrint
Messages
1,186
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



What does cis^-1 (x) mean
like you know how there is sin^-1 (x) and sin(x) applying that concept with cis(x) what does that mean?

Note that is not a spelling mistake I'm not trying to say cos^-1 (x) I'm indeed saying cis^-1 (x) with an "i"

I also wander what does cis stand for like cos is cosine sin is sine etc. how do I say cis...

like I was thinking ok

cis(x) = cos(x) + i sin(x) = e^(ix)
what does cis^-1(x) mean

kind of stuck here...

Thank You

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since cis(x) is defined in the following manner,

[tex]cis(x) = cos(x) +isin(x) = e^{ix}[/tex]

Simply take the inverse of cis(x),

[tex]cis^{-1}(x) = \pm cos^{-1}(\frac{x^{2} + 1}{2x})[/tex]
 
Last edited: