1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean by the approximate to four decimal place accuracy?

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    【what] does it mean by the term" approximate to four decimal place accuracy"

hey

I have a question. What does it mean by the term " approximate to four decimal place accuracy". For instance, I want to approximate cos(pi/5) to four decimal place using the macluarin series.

The actual value of cos(pi/5) is: 0.809016994

Does this mean that the first five decimal place of the value I obtain from the series must match exactly as 0.80901? What about the rounding?
    What if I got something like
    1)0.809071
    2) 0.809014

Do they still fit into the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: 【what] does it mean by the term" approximate to four decimal place accuracy"

I think "approximate to 4 decimal places" means 4 significant digits with the last one plus or minus 5, which mean for .809016994, the range of valid answers would be about from .8085 to .8095

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook