Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does not normalizable ential

1. Mar 3, 2010 #1
    What does "not normalizable" ential

the free particle's wave function is not normalizable...what does that mean??
    I understand there are mathematical tricks to help, but i still don't understand why it is not normalizable? does that cast the whole statistical interpretation into doubt when it comes to free particles?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Re: What does "not normalizable" ential

When we talk about the "free particle wave function" we usually mean this (in the case of one-dimensional motion):

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = A e^{i(k x - \omega t)}[/tex]

By "not normalizable" we mean that there is no value of A that makes the following integral true:

[tex]\int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}{\Psi^* \Psi dx} = 1[/tex]

which makes the total probability of finding the particle somewhere equal to 1.

It simply means that the wave function given above is not actually a valid wave function for a free particle, strictly speaking. Physically, it means that it is not possible for a particle to have a completely definite, exact value of momentum [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex].

To get a valid wave function for a free particle, that is localized in space and is normalizable, you have to superpose wave functions that span a continuous range of momentum values:

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {A(k) e^{i(k x - \omega t) } dk}[/tex]

where a function A(k) gives the amplitude of the wave that has momentum [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex]. This is called a wave packet. One common example (because it's relatively easy to analyze) is the Gaussian wave packet:

http://musr.physics.ubc.ca/~jess/hr/skept/GWP/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Mar 3, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The last integral in jtbell's post should have a "dk" at the end.

5. Mar 3, 2010 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just want to add that all members of a Hilbert space like [itex]L^2(\mathbb R^3)[/itex] have finite norm. So if v is an arbitrary non-zero vector in the Hilbert space, then [itex]v/\|v\|[/itex] is a unit vector in the direction of v, i.e. it's a "normalized" version of v.

So the "not normalizable" wavefunctions aren't really wavefunctions. They also don't correspond to physically realizable states.

6. Mar 4, 2010 #5

Thanks a lot jtbell, matterwave and fredrik.

7. Mar 4, 2010 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Oops! I fixed it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook