What does the set of reals with infinitely many sequence terms below it represent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sonofagun
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
sonofagun
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Member warned that the homework template is required
I'm reading the proof that a cauchy sequence is convergent.

Let an be a cauchy sequence and let ε=1. Then ∃N∈ℕ such that for all m, n≥N we have
an-am<1. Hence, for all n≥N we have an-aN<1 which implies an<aN+1. Therefore, the set {n∈ℕ: an≤aN+1} is infinite and thus {x∈ℝ : {n∈ℕ: an≤x} is infinite} ≠ ∅.

I can't make sense of the last set. What does it represent and why is it not empty?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you buy the statement that [itex]\{n \in \mathbb{N} \colon a_n \le a_N + 1 \}[/itex] is infinite? If so, what does that tell you about the [itex]a_n[/itex] themselves?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sonofagun
statdad said:
Do you buy the statement that [itex]\{n \in \mathbb{N} \colon a_n \le a_N + 1 \}[/itex] is infinite? If so, what does that tell you about the [itex]a_n[/itex] themselves?

Okay, I get it now. It's the set of all reals that are ≥ an for infinitely many n's. aN+1 is an element in this set, thus it's not empty.
I'm studying independently so I occasionally get stuck trying to figure out easy concepts like this. Thank you!