Oilrig Passengers Who Died in Helicopter Crash: Heroes?

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
In summary, the workers who died in a helicopter crash in Buffalo are not heroes. They were going to work in just the same way as the passengers who survived. They were brave ordinary people who changed the world.
russ_watters said:
Though a medal of honor is viewed publicly as being somehow different, it is a faint line indeed between a sliver star and a medal of honor. The primary difference is that a medal of honor usually involves actual injury instead of just the risk of injury and/or the length of time exposed to the risk. Also, while he certainly assumed a high risk while he was doing it, perhaps in the postmortem, it was decided the risk wasn't as high as he thought it was.
Perhaps the MOH has evolved to something that it was not, previously. Did you know that Tom Custer was awarded the MOH twice? Both times for penetrating enemy lines and capturing a confederate battle flag.

Brave, perhaps foolhardy, but certainly not a selfless act in protection of another's life.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Perhaps it does: did they risk their lives for a cause that helped save the lives of others? Certainly, it isn't as direct and immediate a circumstance as jumping on a grenade, but to me the criteria is still met.

Yes, I agree.
I don't think they risked their lives and neither attempted to save anyone directly. I think there's little difference between trying to save someone's life and fighting for what's right. In second case, they might be saving thousands lives indirectly or at least improving lives. I would prefer living a short good life than a long life in undesirable conditions. So, I would value a person more who makes the society better than someone who saves my life. If more valuable work is more heroic then saving lives directly is not as heroic as making the society better. But, I am not sure about if changing society is more valuable or saving few people's lives.

Dog honoured for tackling burglar

A Labrador who fought to protect its owners from a knife-wielding burglar, has been honoured for his bravery.

I guess this is also a hero (using saving lives and acting bravely def)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lancashire/8005669.stm

I want to have a dog like that :)

turbo-1 said:
Perhaps the MOH has evolved to something that it was not, previously. Did you know that Tom Custer was awarded the MOH twice? Both times for penetrating enemy lines and capturing a confederate battle flag.

Brave, perhaps foolhardy, but certainly not a selfless act in protection of another's life.
I didn't know that, no, but medals are often politicized and as a result the number given out and the reasons they are given out vary in time. I doubt highly that such an act would be recognized with a MOH today - nor do I think it should.

rootX said:
I guess this is also a hero (using saving lives and acting bravely def)
Probably, but a dog has the benefit of not understanding the risk. The human brain is what stops humans from doing heroic things.

:biggrin:
russ_watters said:
Really? Wow, does the same apply to other words? Should we ask convicted cop killer Mumia Abu Jamal if he is a "murderer" or not and release or execute him based on his response?

russ_watters said:
I'm pedantic, logical
and a teensy bit derisive?:biggrin:

Little bit, when warranted, yeah. The statement was rediculous.

Last edited:
Please don't think my name is written in a bad paraphrase (just in case my mind is being activated).

russ_watters said:
That was a question, not a statement.
It was a statement. Your first one, not so good. This one, better.

russ_watters said:
Little bit, when warranted, yeah. The statement was rediculous.
As long as you're opening the door to "ridicule"...

You are trying to compare the words "murderer" and "heroic".

"Murderer" is a definable condition, like "Hindu" or "literate".
"Heroic" is much less definable as a condition, like "happy" or "shy".

The ambiguity in this situation is not in the definition of the word, but in the fact that there is some latitude in its applicability.

Back