What exactly is being contested about the 1967 borders?

• News
  • Thread starter syano
  • Start date
In summary: Jewish homeland, circa 1917-1948.The gist of it is that there is a religious dispute over the land and who should control it, and it's not going to be resolved any time soon.In summary, Netanyahu believes that a two-state resolution is possible, but that it must include the Gaza Strip and the West Bank as separate, sovereign states. He opposes any withdrawal to the 1967 borders, as this would result in the loss of a Palestinian majority in the Jewish state.
syano
I’m confused on what exactly is being contested. If I understand correctly, Netanyahu foresees a two state resolution with Palestine consisting of the West Bank and Gaza. I also understand that Netanyahu is in strict opposition to withdrawing to the 67’ borders. Since the 67’ borders separate the West Bank and Gaza from Israel then aren’t these two understandings contradictory of each other?

Is it the Golan Heights that is being contested here?

Physics news on Phys.org
They need the land without the people who are living there since centuries.

Golan Heights became part of Israel in 1980 according to the votes of the Israeli parliament and 500000 Syrian refugees lost their right to return.

If another country did that, then we call it fascism.

My opinion is that Israel won the war(s) (you know, the ones where THEY GOT ATTACKED), so to the victor go the spoils, especially when the victor was the defender. Cruel? Maybe. Heartless? Certainly. Realistic? Absolutely.

To clarify my original question, please let’s not get into the politics of the Palestinian/Israel conflict debating about who is right or wrong; but rather what is exactly being contested by Netanyahu in response to Obama’s recent policy stance where he states that a resolution should be based on 1967 borders.

From PBS:
What are the 1967 borders?

The borders of Israel have been controversial since the United States, Great Britain and other winners of World War II got together to redraw the map of Europe and the Middle East.

In 1947, the United Nations carved up the former British protectorate of Palestine into two sections and created a religious nation to protect Jews who had been targeted by European anti-Semitism and the Nazis in the Holocaust.

However, the formation of a Jewish state displaced the people who were living in the area, many of whom were Arab and Muslim. The surrounding Arab nations immediately declared war on the new country.

The 1967 war began when Israel, fearing an invasion, launched a preemptive attack on Egypt. In quick succession, the Israelis seized Gaza and the Sinai from Egypt, the Golan Heights from Syria, and the West Bank of the Jordan River and East Jerusalem from Jordan, a monumental victory for Israel and a catastrophe to Arabs.

Over time, Israel made peace with Egypt and Jordan, and gave back some of what it captured. At the same time, however, more than 300,000 Jewish settlers created walled-off settlements in Palestinian land as a political and religious attempt to expand the land they claim God promised them.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/features/world/jan-june11/obamaspeech_05-20.html

However this does not answer the OP question.

Last edited by a moderator:
syano said:
To clarify my original question, please let’s not get into the politics of the Palestinian/Israel conflict debating about who is right or wrong; but rather what is exactly being contested by Netanyahu in response to Obama’s recent policy stance where he states that a resolution should be based on 1967 borders.

From what I've got... Israel wants three things and it can only have two: a Jewish state, a democratic state, and a state that stretches from the Suez to the Jordan.

Losing a Jewish-majority state would endanger the world's Jews, and if you seriously think Israel shouldn't be democratic you should go move to some nation that isn't founded on democratic rights.

That leaves the option of cutting the Palestinian majority areas off of the Jewish state to be controlled by another.

Personally, I think the two-state solution is dead. First the Palestinians weren't cooperating, now the Jews aren't. The Jews won't deal fairly with a weaker partner. Also, dealing with Hamas is a bad idea for us but unavoidable if there's to be an independent Palestine.

So I support a three-state solution where Egypt & Jordan take over Gaza & the West Bank, respectively.

(Credit not mine for the post, that goes to a guy I know named Stu who I just happen to agree with. He's semi-serious in this post but not completely)

Proclaimed by Israel, the 1967 border relocation is "indefensible" without significant modification; thus would subject Israel to an extraordinarily unreasonable ability to defend itself.
That IS the main contention, as the radical Palestinians(and others) wish nothing less than that of the total destruction of Israel.

syano said:
I’m confused on what exactly is being contested. If I understand correctly, Netanyahu foresees a two state resolution with Palestine consisting of the West Bank and Gaza. I also understand that Netanyahu is in strict opposition to withdrawing to the 67’ borders. Since the 67’ borders separate the West Bank and Gaza from Israel then aren’t these two understandings contradictory of each other?

Is it the Golan Heights that is being contested here?

based on what Netanyahu has said in the past, i think it is unlikely he foresees a two-state solution. you can see for yourself what Binyamin was saying about sabotaging the peace process

http://mondoweiss.net/2010/07/the-world-wont-say-a-thing-netanyahu-on-ongoing-israeli-expansion.html

what this basically comes down to is a religious war, with the attempt being to re-establish biblical borders, what is known as Eretz Yisrael or Greater Israel. even this leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and can be relatively http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Israel#State_of_Israel.2C_West_Bank.2C_and_Gaza_Strip".

in my opinion, it is Netanyahu's intention to keep every square inch of occupied land if possible and only cede when it is absolutely necessary. from the end of the above transcript:

Netanyahu: He’s not exactly a lily-white dove, as they say. So my father heard the question and said: “Tell the rabbi that your grandfather, Rabbi Natan Milikowski, was a smart Jew. Tell him it would be better to give two percent than to give a hundred percent. And that’s the choice here. You gave two percent and in that way you stopped the withdrawal. Instead of a hundred percent.” The trick is not to be there and break down. The trick is to be there and pay a minimal price.

pallidin said:
Proclaimed by Israel, the 1967 border relocation is "indefensible" without significant modification; thus would subject Israel to an extraordinarily unreasonable ability to defend itself.
That IS the main contention, as the radical Palestinians(and others) wish nothing less than that of the total destruction of Israel.

If the radical Palestinian wants to destroy Israel, the Zionists already removed Palestine from the map and waiting the suitable time for ethic cleansing.

Lieberman is an Israeli minister, and I doubt that you could find any nation that can accept such fascist person in any government in the world including Iran.

syano said:
If I understand correctly, Netanyahu foresees a two state resolution with Palestine consisting of the West Bank and Gaza. I also understand that Netanyahu is in strict opposition to withdrawing to the 67’ borders. Since the 67’ borders separate the West Bank and Gaza from Israel then aren’t these two understandings contradictory of each other?

that's right … your two understandings contradict each other :redface:

can you provide a link to explain your first one? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
that's right … your two understandings contradict each other :redface:

can you provide a link to explain your first one? :confused:

I'm not able to find a link substantiating this claim; apparently this is where my misunderstanding lays. Subconsciously I must have concluded that Netanyahu sought a two-state solution consisting of Gaza and the West Bank, based on my knowledge of his recent statements to Congress and AIPAC using the words “two states for two peoples” and my knowledge of the wall the Israelis are building that is right along side of the 1967 borders (or at least very close to it)… It wasn’t too far of a jump to think that this second state would consist of the property on the other side of this wall.

syano said:
… my knowledge of the wall the Israelis are building that is right along side of the 1967 borders (or at least very close to it)… It wasn’t too far of a jump to think that this second state would consist of the property on the other side of this wall.

hmm … you seem to need a lot more background knowledge before you can follow these speeches

start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_West_Bank_barrier" for comparison) :smile:

(and check before you quote people in future! :rolleyes:)

tiny-tim said:
(and check before you quote people in future! :rolleyes:)

I don’t understand what you are saying or what you want me to look for within that long article? I was quoting you simply to make it clear that my reply was based on your response. And essentially thanking you for clearing up where my misunderstanding was. You asked me for a link showing Bibi’s support of a second state consisting of the West Bank. I replied that I couldn’t find a link substantiating MY claim... not yours. This helped clear up my misunderstanding. Did you misread my last response thinking that I was arguing with you? I may have worded is clumsy.

I do have a decent amount of background knowledge of the Israeli / Arab conflict. At least compared to the circles that I run with.

syano said:
don’t understand what you are saying or what you want me to look for within that long article? … Did you misread my last response thinking that I was arguing with you?

Not at all … I wasn't linking that wikipedia article to the part of your post that I didn't quote, but to the part that I did quote …
… my knowledge of the wall the Israelis are building that is right along side of the 1967 borders (or at least very close to it)… It wasn’t too far of a jump to think that this second state would consist of the property on the other side of this wall.

… which seemed sufficiently unreal that some background reading was appropriate :smile:
I do have a decent amount of background knowledge of the Israeli / Arab conflict. At least compared to the circles that I run with.

you probably need more if you're going to post in this sub-forum

and btw, when you start a thread with "I'm confused", you should expect people to help with offers of background reading! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
... which seemed sufficiently unreal that some background reading was appropriate :smile:

It makes sense that Israelis seeking a two state solution would not want their people on the opposite side of their barrier wall. I don’t see how you think that is a “sufficiently unreal” assertion.

you probably need more if you're going to post in this sub-forum

That’s arrogant, off topic, and argumentative. I’m to believe that your knowledge is so great based on your ability to link a Wikipedia article?

I still have no idea what you are disputing. Are you disputing that the wall is not along side (close to) the 67’ borders? Or are you disputing that it’s nonsensical to think that Israelis would want their people on their side of the wall if a two state solution ever came to be?

and btw, when you start a thread with "I'm confused", you should expect people to help with offers of background reading! :wink:

As previously stated, my confusion was cleared up prior to you saying that “I needed more background knowledge before I could follow these speeches.”

I was confused about a very specific question and had researched it prior to making my original post. You didn’t help me by saying “do more background reading.” However you did indirectly help by asking me to provide you with a link showing Bibi’s specific support of a second state consisting of the West Bank and Gaza. When I couldn’t find this, it became apparent what was causing my misunderstanding.

Last edited:

What exactly is being contested about the 1967 borders?

The 1967 borders, also known as the Green Line, refer to the armistice lines between Israel and its neighboring countries after the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. These borders have been the subject of much controversy and dispute since the 1967 Six-Day War. Here are the five most frequently asked questions about what exactly is being contested:

1. What are the 1967 borders?

The 1967 borders are the armistice lines between Israel and its neighboring countries (Egypt, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon) after the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. These borders were established by the United Nations (UN) in 1949 and are also known as the Green Line due to the green ink used to draw the line on the map.

2. Why are the 1967 borders being contested?

The 1967 borders are being contested because they do not represent the current boundaries of the State of Israel. After the 1967 Six-Day War, Israel gained control of territories beyond the 1967 borders, including the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and the Gaza Strip. This has led to ongoing disputes and conflicts between Israel and its neighboring countries over the control of these territories.

3. Who is contesting the 1967 borders?

The 1967 borders are being contested by various parties, including Israel, its neighboring countries, and the international community. Israel claims that the 1967 borders are not defensible and that it has a historical and religious connection to the territories it gained control of in the 1967 war. On the other hand, many countries and international organizations, including the UN, view the 1967 borders as the basis for a future two-state solution between Israel and Palestine.

4. What is the current status of the 1967 borders?

The 1967 borders remain a contentious issue and have not been officially recognized by all parties involved. Israel has annexed East Jerusalem and considers it part of its capital, while the West Bank and Gaza Strip are under varying degrees of Israeli control. The international community considers these territories as occupied Palestinian territories. Negotiations and peace talks have been ongoing to determine the final status of the 1967 borders and achieve a resolution to the conflict.

5. What are the potential implications of the 1967 borders?

The 1967 borders have significant implications for the future of Israel and its neighboring countries. The control of these territories affects the security, sovereignty, and borders of each party involved. The final status of the 1967 borders will also impact the potential for a two-state solution between Israel and Palestine and the stability of the entire region.