What happened to the bones from the 1922 Massacre at Smyrna?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jobrag
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
Jobrag
Messages
551
Reaction score
28
Some years ago I read a book about the end of the Ottoman Empire; in the chapter about the massacre of Smyrna in 1922, there was a footnote that, some months after the massacre human bones were shipped to Britain. The tone of the note was that the bones were not being brought to the UK to be interred but rather as an industrial raw material. I've since lost the book and have not been able to find out anything more about this gruesome episode. Can anyone throw any more light on it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Robert Fisk in the Independent mentions the massacre in his latest column.
 
What are the industrial uses of animal bones?
 
Jobrag said:
Making fertiliser I think. These were human bones.
Animal bones are a byproduct of the meat industry. Was there a shortage of animal bones in England that year?
 
I bet your maiden aunt has some in her collection.

Fine BONE china is made from ...er...er... :)