What hidden gems can be found on archive.org for physics enthusiasts?

• Thread starter jjustinn
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker discusses their discovery of a valuable physics text on archive.org and their desire to find other hidden gems on the website. The possibility of books and papers being removed from the site adds urgency to their search. They also mention their interest in obtaining a copy of Isaac Newton's "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" and suggest purchasing it from a secondhand bookseller or scanning it into a PDF.
jjustinn
I've recently come across a pretty excellent text on archive.org -- http://www.archive.org/details/IntroductionToTensorsSpinorsRelativisticWaveEquations (I liked it so much I bought a copy on Amazon) -- which got me thinking: what else is on there that I've been missing out on?

The fact that it was confirmed in another thread here that papers / books are sometimes removed (for example, virtually everything by Dirac) gives this a a special urgency for me.

So -- what are your favorite (physics) finds on archive.org?

Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
You could, of course, buy it at abebooks, so that you can scribble notes and important latin words in its margin..

..or, you could take it to Kinko's, have them cut the binding and scan it into a PDF.

Related to What hidden gems can be found on archive.org for physics enthusiasts?

1. What is archive.org?

Archive.org is a digital library that provides free access to millions of books, movies, music, and other forms of media. It is a non-profit organization that aims to preserve and provide universal access to human knowledge.

2. What are "Treasures" on archive.org?

"Treasures" on archive.org refer to rare or unique items that have been digitized and made available for public viewing on the website. These can include historical documents, photographs, recordings, and more.

3. How are these "Treasures" selected and curated on archive.org?

The selection and curation of "Treasures" on archive.org is done by a team of professionals, including librarians, archivists, and subject experts. They consider factors such as historical significance, cultural importance, and preservation needs when choosing items to add to the collection.

4. Can anyone contribute to the "Treasures" collection on archive.org?

Yes, anyone can contribute to the "Treasures" collection on archive.org. Users can upload their own digitized materials or suggest items to be added by filling out a form on the website. All submissions are reviewed by the archive.org team before being added to the collection.

5. How can I access and use "Treasures" on archive.org?

"Treasures" on archive.org can be accessed and used by anyone with an internet connection. The website allows users to browse and search for specific items, as well as download and share them for non-commercial purposes. Some items may also have specific usage restrictions, which can be found on the item's page.